Supper tonight

pedalphile

I has a plan, a cunning one at that, barley risotto, which I have never made or even tried before, but they’re allus doing it on these cheffy shows I watch on my tele, with sweet chestnuts, gathered at the weekend just over the border in Wales, when I visited a waterfall called Water Breaks its Neck. Never tried nuts in a risotto either, have no idea about authenticity nor care, I think this dish will work well. I roasted some nuts last night when the fire was lit ?

• Awesome 1

I wonder what your sweet chestnuts are like and how they would compare to the now extinct American chestnut and the Chinese chestnut. I remember eating roasted chestnuts as a kid and they were wonderful. The Chinese chestnuts taste similar but not quite wonderful. It might just be my memory made the American ones taste better.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I wonder what your sweet chestnuts are like and how they would compare to the now extinct American chestnut and the Chinese chestnut. I remember eating roasted chestnuts as a kid and they were wonderful. The Chinese chestnuts taste similar but not quite wonderful. It might just be my memory made the American ones taste better.

They taste nutty, sweet, and just a tad  chesty, too. Our English ones are seldom seen in shoppes, the ones I find are usually on the small side, not like the big beauties in the market and shoppes from Spain, but they are spendy indeed, and I like to feed free on foraged food. I have refined my recipe, it shall include some ceps, rehydrated, for the classic chestnut and mushroom combi. I am about to start prepping the veg, shallot, celery, garlic, light the fire, and get the pot on.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Well , have to report that was lovely, a veritable triumph; would have liked it more cooked through, was a little too al dente for my taste, but probably would have wowed the professionals in the audience, great flavour and texture combinations, I think the reheat of the leftovers will suit me perfectly, having compleatly melted that barley kernel to creamy soft loveliness.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, late said:

I am making a grapefruit and lime ceviche using cod. Instead of cilantro, I'm using heirloom mint, it's a MUCH milder taste than modern mint, which I hate. Good thing to grow in a window, or porch.

Should be quite tangy.

That does sound right up mine street. I shall give something along those lines a go later this week, thanks for the idea. I recently had fresh bonito for the first time, it is wonderful every way I tried it, which were straight bbqed over wood, same with curry spices coating, in Thai type of soup, and raw - absolutely a winner over all other fish I have ever eaten raw, so soft a texture, meltsy and dreamy.

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

We’re having split pea soup. It’s been raining all day, so I’m ready for s hearty bowl of peas porridge.

Loving it. Pease pudding or a pottage of pease I call it. Still going on fine fair weather foods here, another few days at least, comfort foods are beckoning with their siren call, though.

2 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Homemade pasta and filling I trust? What of sauce for them?

Screw that noise.  I let someone make that for me.

Technically, it was butternut squash agnolotti with kale in a sage brown butter sauce. SW would not be able to enjoy it :(

Tom

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Screw that noise.  I let someone make that for me.

Technically, it was butternut squash agnolotti with kale in a sage brown butter sauce. SW would not be able to enjoy it :(

Tom

Homemade pasta is as well as being an absolute piece of duff to make is such a joy to eat when you’ve done it you’ll never go back, trust me on this. Also, it’s about taking ownership, investing oneself in what one eats, makes scents, and you know it.

Just now, pedalphile said:

Homemade pasta is as well as being an absolute piece of duff to make is such a joy to eat when you’ve done it you’ll never go back, trust me on this. Also, it’s about taking ownership, investing oneself in what one eats, makes scents, and you know it.

Did you change time zones???? Or have a bit of insomnia these days?

If I could get my wife to make homemade pasta, I would. That's a battle I am NOT waging, and am more than happy to pay for the food she is so kind to prepare for us.  I'll even gladly do the dishes and make the coffee for the morning.

Tom

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If I could get my wife to make homemade pasta, I would. That's a battle I am NOT waging, and am more than happy to pay for the food she is so kind to prepare for us.  I'll even gladly do the dishes and make the coffee for the morning.

Tom

Stuck in the 50s much, Thom, or hast heard men can cook these days?

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

Hey, I already stated I would wear the purple lacey panties, but folks like you keep pushing things and insisting on getting everything they want! I draw the line at pink, and you can stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

Tom

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

Ja, Gutt punkt re time zones, I have to blame the Germans, my Lidl clock, as previously mentioned in another thread. They’re messing with my head, much as they’re messing with our Brexit, Bless em.

4 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

...but, yeah, my wife prefers to eat at 6-ish.  If she waited for me to cook, that would mean eating at 7-ish.  Her choice, and not really anything I've dictated.

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hey, I already stated I would wear the purple lacey panties, but folks like you keep pushing things and insisting on getting everything they want! I draw the line at pink, and you can stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

Tom

We all have our crosses to bare, I suppose. Personally I adore pink, in many though not all of its shades and hues, and have many clothes and personal items in said colour. Maybe not every man could carry it off, but not every man has my self assurance, I suppose, nor cooking skills come to that.

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Squash ravioli.  Tasty stuff.

Tom

aw6hs9r7amnus7tnjr8b.jpgPORTSMOUTH, NH—Calling the dish one of the tastiest she’s had in some time, 61-year-old mom Karyn Stockton continued to rave Thursday about the butternut squash ravioli she tried 13 years ago during a vacation to Boston. “Who would have thought to put squash into ravioli?” Stockton said of the pasta dish she consumed in 2005 at West End restaurant Riccardo Trattoria and has been bringing up intermittently while out at other restaurants and even during lulls in casual conversation. “I think it had some sage in the sauce. Or maybe it was tarragon? I swear, we should try to make it some time. Gosh, it was a great dinner. I wish you’d have been there.” At press time, Stockton revealed that she once bought a frozen version that looked similar at Sam’s Club, but that it just wasn’t the same.
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1