What am I whittling about now?

pedalphile

Ja, down in my garden again on a mother lovely sunny morning, the birds are in the trees tweeting, leaves are gently falling, all seems right with the worlde this morning, and I am messing with my wood, in a calm and measured way, having put down the splitting axe, and even drawing in pencil a line to cut to next: but what am I making, think you?

14 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Not even close, maxx, though the first British jet engine, do I mean the worlds’ first jet engine, was fitted in a doped canvas covered airframe made out of wood.

Caproni foto.jpg

First successful flight of a jet engine.........until it was revealed that the German He178 had flown.  Whittle's engine didn't fly till 1941.  It was however a true turbojet engine as opposed to the Italian motorjet.  The german engine however may have been a patent violation from Franks first patent.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Wood chips?

A few of those, some dust, some shavings and scrapings and a little bit of kindling, plus the spoon, all from one small piece of yesterday’s firewood haul fetched back by bike from where it fell, about three quarters of a mile away. Sycamore, my favourite wood for these tools, not bad for burning, neither, but this stuff has a way to go, % of water is in the high 30s.

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

A few of those, some dust, some shavings and scrapings and a little bit of kindling, plus the spoon, all from one small piece of yesterday’s firewood haul fetched back by bike from where it fell, about three quarters of a mile away. Sycamore, my favourite wood for these tools, not bad for burning, neither, but this stuff has a way to go, % of water is in the high 30s.

Have you ever watched the documentary on Richard Proenneke and his time in Alaska living a solitary life in the wild.  He carved many a spoon with simple tools.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Have you ever watched the documentary on Richard Proenneke and his time in Alaska living a solitary life in the wild.  He carved many a spoon with simple tools.

No jsharr, but it does look interesting, and I shall watch it later, in the waiting room at dermatology probably, heading there in a bit.

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

No jsharr, but it does look interesting, and I shall watch it later, in the waiting room at dermatology probably, heading there in a bit.

I think you will enjoy it greatly.  I know I did.  It is one of those shows that I will watch every time it on PBS.