gasoline driven auto

Airehead

A couple weeks ago we drove through Reading, PA and we visited the "Pagoda" overlooking the city.  Pretty impressive.  The road leading to it is called "Duryea Drive" and this plaque is installed near the base of the pagoda.  It looks like to climb Mount Penn involves about 800 vertical feet.

Image result for duryea reading plaque

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

The race went from Chicago to Evanston and back.

Once I went from Chicago to Evanston and back - and it was a thrill.

One day when I was going to IIT in the 1970's, the TV News was all excited that the Northern Lights were going to be visible that evening. I had never seen them and the city lights were too bright, so I drove north from the South Side of Chicago, reaching Evanston, then driving a little further.  I had thought they were fairly stationary so I was thrilled when I saws them swirling close to the horizon after I cleared the well lighted areas.

This depends entirely on definitions. Mechanically powered vehicles had been around for while.

How long?

Again, definitions.

Over a thousand years ago, some religion built a powered vehicle for some big event each year. It took them better part of the year to get the thing so it could move on its own for a couple hundred yards. But move it did.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, late said:

This depends entirely on definitions. Mechanically powered vehicles had been around for while.

How long?

Again, definitions.

Over a thousand years ago, some religion built a powered vehicle for some big event each year. It took them better part of the year to get the thing so it could move on its own for a couple hundred yards. But move it did.

Gasoline powered.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

And what part of "gasoline" powered don't you understand?

The part that says that's enough.

That humans built a steam powered vehicle a couple thousand years ago in Alexandria is incredible. That we had powered vehicles generations before gasoline vehicles is interesting.

Oh wait, this isn't about history, is it?