I Think They're Missing The Point

Razors Edge

...of modern road tires - especially road tubeless.

Many tubeless tires use many overlapping layers of butyl-impregnated fabric to get the necessary airtight construction & strength for road tubeless. (Road tubeless with pressures of ~100psi is definitely a bit more complicated than MTB tubeless where pressures are closer to ~30psi.)

If a 135 lb dude is running ~100psi on ANY tire set-up, they are bonkers.  I don't go over 90psi, and I can get away with 75psi without any real worries.  Someone in the comments even mentioned that it was 100psi in a 26mm tire!

:frantics:    :frantics:    :frantics:   

I had a cycling buddy who was about 185 lbs and inflated 700x23 tires to 140 psi. We have chip and tar roads around here and he wondered why he was so beat up. Actually the 700x23s were an improvement as he ran 700x20s for many years. Eventually he found it more difficult to find tires rated that high so he went down to 120 psi.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I had a cycling buddy who was about 185 lbs and inflated 700x23 tires to 140 psi. We have chip and tar roads around here and he wondered why he was so beat up. Actually the 700x23s were an improvement as he ran 700x20s for many years. Eventually he found it more difficult to find tires rated that high so he went down to 120 psi.

Lunacy, correct?  Seriously, what do you think prompts that sort of nonsensical thinking?  I wonder about his poor rims, as well. :(

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Lunacy, correct?  Seriously, what do you think prompts that sort of nonsensical thinking?  I wonder about his poor rims, as well. :(

I guess I don’t know road tubeless issues as well as MTB tubeless.  I might think tire blow off might be an issue at high PSI but the benefit is generally the lower pressure you can run.  

From what I understand tubeless needs reinforced sidewalls as the tube provides some internal structure but I’m not sure that’s what their issue is...

Just now, ChrisL said:

I guess I don’t know road tubeless issues as well as MTB tubeless.  I might think tire blow off might be an issue at high PSI but the benefit is generally the lower pressure you can run.   

From what I understand tubeless needs reinforced sidewalls as the tube provides some internal structure but I’m not sure that’s what their issue is... 

I can think of no reason I would want to swap to a newer tech if it meant a worse ride.  Yuck.  I just think it is some old school guys reviewing new school tech??? And missing the point?

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I can think of no reason I would want to swap to a newer tech if it meant a worse ride.  Yuck.  I just think it is some old school guys reviewing new school tech??? And missing the point?

OK I actually read the link this time.  I don’t know what PSI pros ride but it could be on the higher end. But, I think what they were getting at is a tubeless tire needs to be a bit overbuilt to compensate for the lack of a tube.  However the overbuilt nature of a tubeless tire then decreases suppleness.

They are alleging the tire will be supple and still maintain its tubeless properties.  I’m not sure how PSI fits into their claims or if it even matters...

What I do know is pros like tubular tires as you can ride on them while flat which you can’t do with clincher or tubeless.

• Heart 1