Libraries

dinneR

Some of these are really cool.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/10/travel/libraries-are-the-tourist-attractions.html

In the past few years dozens of new high-profile libraries have opened close to home and across the world. And they certainly don’t resemble the book-depot vision of libraries from the past.

To attract visitors from home and abroad, many libraries have advanced, even quirky amenities. They have rooftop gardens, public parks, verandas, play spaces, teen centers, movie theaters, gaming rooms, art galleries, restaurants and more. The new library in Aarhus, Denmark, has a massive gong that rings whenever a mother in a nearby hospital gives birth.

Calgary

image.thumb.png.839ea2ea9bf7f01a3ef9f746463f068e.png

Tianjin Binhai Library

image.thumb.png.f72b09a3038561fb46097e05e41bb50f.png

Anything inside that white bubble or ie. use your imagination??

On behalf for Calgary below, since I strolled in on the big opening day in Nov. 2018.  The film theatre, speaker facility was greatly needed. I wouldn't call it totally accessible for wheelchair users.  The bottom photo:  I bike by it nearly daily.  There is a separated bike lane that runs past it.  The colourful sculptures in front of the building, have weights which move in the wind abit.

theatre.thumb.JPG.98989f6aa056c93a4a4361b15d5af969.JPGbisonaerial.thumb.JPG.49bbbedcf1267e576996c65ddcc35637.JPGlrtgoingunder.thumb.JPG.0fc6b60f76d51d8c6f9c7a33692c2e69.JPGoutside.thumb.JPG.2f22f36460669c397ce5e3ffdcbbdc12.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, KrAzY said:

The main issue with cool libraries is you still have to be quiet :(

In some newer library areas..people are allowed to chat and do group work.  It depends on the style of management..the progressive library directors will allow certain areas.  I seriously mean this:  it is intended for community knowledge sharing space and for collaborative learning.  The philosophy is not just solo learning from reading a paper or e-book. This library has some multiple small rooms that you can sign up for free for limited time.  

This library that I posted photographs does allow coffee from the cafe in certain areas. Yea, the new cafe is not my cup of "tea"....too expensive. 

Though the architecture is impressive, all the library shelving is lower...which means the library cannot order a lot new books..which is fine. However, then a lot is stored in warehouse like room which I find wasteful in terms of staff time, etc.  Of course this library with a card, has access to a ton of databases, etc.

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

That is where they keep the book so it can still be called a library.

Print books still out number e-books 70%-30% nationally. But most libraries have both. And the digital movie/tv service from my library is great. I don't use any paid service like netflix, cable, or satellite if I want to watch something.

• Heart 1

And then there is the Yale University Library. The university wanted a library and the architect, James Gamble Rogers, wanted to design a cathedral so you end up with the "Cathedral of Learning". A grand Gothic architectural cathedral, you enter the great doors to the nave and where the alter would be is the circulation desk with a religious 'design' mural actually representing the University. The stain glass, again educational topics/pictures scenes. Adjacent to the nave are the reading room(s) with the longest the entire length of the nave. Additionally, what appears to be confessionals where phone booths when land lines existed now converted to small cubicles.

My son actually works there so have been there several times. It is an amazing place.

440px-Sterling_nave.jpg

480px-Sterling_Memorial_Library_4,_September_1,_2008.jpg

Starr_Reading_Room_east.jpg

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

Libraries still exist?  Amazing.

I use mine all of the time.  I have an amazing selection of audiobooks at my fingertips.  Last summer I used their 3D printer to print a mount for a tail light. I tell my teachers to contact them for class sets of books. I used lynda.com to learn about digital photography.  I sent my kids to coding camp this summer.  

On 8/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, Tizeye said:

And then there is the Yale University Library. The university wanted a library and the architect, James Gamble Rogers, wanted to design a cathedral so you end up with the "Cathedral of Learning". A grand Gothic architectural cathedral, you enter the great doors to the nave and where the alter would be is the circulation desk with a religious 'design' mural actually representing the University. The stain glass, again educational topics/pictures scenes. Adjacent to the nave are the reading room(s) with the longest the entire length of the nave. Additionally, what appears to be confessionals where phone booths when land lines existed now converted to small cubicles.

My son actually works there so have been there several times. It is an amazing place.

440px-Sterling_nave.jpg

480px-Sterling_Memorial_Library_4,_September_1,_2008.jpg

Starr_Reading_Room_east.jpg

I did wander into the main library at Harvard.  Now I can't remember the name of it.  

I occasionally did some research for the judges in the Great Library at the main courthouse in downtown Toronto in photo below.  But I worked in ANOTHER library exclusively for the judges --library hidden from the public and off-limits to the lawyers. It was more modest architecturally..but still in same building.  

Both libraries also purchase licenses to the major case law databases, etc.  No, the stuff on the Internet is not good enough....there's not enough analysis.  The research links /references must still exist 20 yrs. from now when they are quoted in case analyses by the judges in their decision/ruling.

My primary role was developing and implementing the library database system for the Ontario courts at the time.  (Maybe different software platform by now).  No, it's not an IT person.  They don't know how to do backward research in law and changes, etc. The librarian of 2lst century must memorize features of at least 10 different database software platforms, know the content scope differences among products, know what only exists in paper....and do some of this while the client is watching.  I love thinking on the spot....horizontally and laterally.

osgoode hall great library