My Totinios pizza is scaring me

Forum Administrator

It's late and I haven't had dinner yet.  I dig around in the freezer and find a Totino's pizza.  This is an $0.80 pizza and the toppings are what you might expect.  I grab some ham and sprinkle that on top.  I also add a bit of extra cheese and pizza seasoning. I put it in the toaster oven and wait 11 minutes.

When I pull it out, the cheese that came with the pizza is not melted.  At the same time, the cheese I added is melted, browned, and darn near burnt.  

What is in the cheese on the pizza?

It didn't stop me from eating the whole thing.  I was hungry.

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2019 at 10:37 PM, Forum Administrator said:

It's late and I haven't had dinner yet.  I dig around in the freezer and find a Totino's pizza.  This is an $0.80 pizza and the toppings are what you might expect.  I grab some ham and sprinkle that on top.  I also add a bit of extra cheese and pizza seasoning. I put it in the toaster oven and wait 11 minutes.

When I pull it out, the cheese that came with the pizza is not melted.  At the same time, the cheese I added is melted, browned, and darn near burnt.  

What is in the cheese on the pizza?

It didn't stop me from eating the whole thing.  I was hungry.

There was a recent America's Test Kitchen episode on local PBS about making Lasagna.  It talked about some shredded store cheeses being coated with cellulose to keep them from clumping together but didn't melt as well as freshly chopped or grated mozzarella.  Maybe the Totinos pizza has an amount of cellulose designed to make the melting of the cheese match the baking of the dough and toppings to the optimum point.

Sometimes when I'm grocery shopping later in the afternoon and feel too tired to want to cook dinner, I pick up a 12" Red Baron Classic Crust Special Deluxe Pizza, a filling 23.45 oz if I'm really hungry or otherwise enough leftover for a lite lunch the next day. It's $3.50 at Walmart and usually $3.89 at most supermarkets.  It's one of the few cheaper pizzas whose taste is close enough to good pizzas to enjoy.  But I limit consumption since a whole pizza is 1500 Cal, 650 Cal from Fat, and 3000 mg Na.

628640053_RedBaronClassicCrustSpecialDeluxePizza.jpg.0b95d9b264bcd978db6244554955c9f6.jpg