Eleanor

Dirtyhip

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Awesome.  You may be tutoring a future world champion.

That would be neato.  I try to emphasize that she can be anything she wants to be.  Do anything.  Fear is something that can be transformed and enjoyed.  Fear is fun.

?

That was scary, right?  So cool.  YAY!

30 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Awesome.  You may be tutoring a future world champion.

Oh, and I learned that you can't take a kid to the yogurt place and let them choose a cup.  They will choose a giant one and FILL IT UP.  

OK, time for the brakes.  She had it in her hand before I could say anything.  HAHA

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Oh, and I learned that you can't take a kid to the yogurt place and let them choose a cup.  They will choose a giant one and FILL IT UP.  

OK, time for the brakes.  She had it in her hand before I could say anything.  HAHA

yep.  Adults hand out the cups.  Those self serve palces where you can pile on toppings can cost you a fortune.  $10 bucks for a tub of yogurt that the kid will eat 10 bites of and then be full.

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

yep.  Adults hand out the cups.  Those self serve palces where you can pile on toppings can cost you a fortune.  $10 bucks for a tub of yogurt that the kid will eat 10 bites of and then be full.

I don't care about the cash.  I just didn't want her going overboard with sugar.  She had it so fast.  Shit. She already touched it. Oh well...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

For the parents in the crowd, ever see someone like DH with a kid and clearly not wise to kids shenanigans?

I have two kidless sisters and used to get a good laugh watching them try to do things with my kids & nephews & nieces. The look of WTF just happened here is priceless.

I wish I was a fly on the wall at the yogurt place.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

For the parents in the crowd, ever see someone like DH with a kid and clearly not wise to kids shenanigans?

I have two kidless sisters and used to get a good laugh watching them try to do things with my kids & nephews & nieces. The look of WTF just happened here is priceless.

I guess we were lucky. We had a pretty tight budget when the first 2 kids were young. Going for a treat was something special that could go away. They knew it and didn't abuse it. 

Child #3 was 7 years younger than the middle. We were lucky to find a retired couple who would only watch 1 or 2 pre-schoolers at a time. They were both diabetic and trying to have healthy diets and that influenced our daughter. She loves fresh fruits and veggies. She was about 5 when we went to see my brother in Chicago. We went to the Miracle Mile on Black Friday so the kids could see the big toy store holiday events. This was when there were several kid-oriented stores there. When it came time for lunch, we went into a food court area. My brother's boys were very picky eaters. They didn't want the hot dogs because they weren't like the ones at home. The cheese was the "wrong color" in the mac and cheese, etc. Meanwhile, #3 saw the Wendy's salad bar (back when they were doing that). She got a plate full of veggies and meats, etc. My SIL looked at her and was envious that her boys were so picky. Replied as tactfully as we could that picky eating is a result of the parents letting them be picky.

A few years later, they asked our oldest daughter to watch the boys while they went away for a week for an anniversary. My daughter doesn't lose arguments much. Especially not to grade school boys! Apparently there were some meetings of minds and wills. She won. 2 or 3 years ago, we were at a family gathering and the oldest boy, recently out of college started saying something in appropriate. Daughter firmly said his name. He stopped. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I am getting wise to her manipulation too.  She uses tears to get what she wants.  WTF?!

29 minutes ago, Kirby said:

You probably inspire her and make her feel confident, while Mom may be worried and make her more anxious.  Either way, this is very cool and I'm glad you'can help inspire and motivate her.

The teenage boys were inspired when I roared down and cleared 5 steps on my pump bike. 

DH, enjoy time with her.

I didn't know my oldest niece (who is now 34) had a creative writing longing in her since she was child....until after her mother/my sister died.

However I'm probably the aunt that she can even talk about her novel writing abit.  It is very easy for her ...to know that I love writing/storytelling (though my stories are real).....'cause I have a public blog. 

This is what I mean in family:  if a person is naturally good at something, don't hide it.  One's enthusiasm/natural gift may help others.