A question for those with a dropper post?

ChrisL

When I finally get my dropper, will it work/pop back up with a saddle bag or will I need to put my tube & tools elsewhere? I was thinking of one of those straps to strap it to the frame  but with the shock placement I dont have many places to put one and prefer a saddle bag.

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

When I finally get my dropper, will it work/pop back up with a saddle bag or will I need to put my tube & tools elsewhere? I was thinking of one of those straps to strap it to the frame  but with the shock placement I dont have many places to put one and prefer a saddle bag.

It should be fine as long as it's not too large. Personally, I use an Osprey pack and a keg for my tools.

Metal KEG (2019)

• Awesome 2

A little weight is fine.  Don't put a big overnight bag on it.

I don't put anything on mine, because When I drop it, I drop it all the way to bottom most of the time.  The bag would rub my tire during big compression.  I like that leaned back downhill position of the seat.  My new bike will not drop as low as I like, and that is a slight bummer.  I ride a medium bike and this one is quite large with those big forks.  My position is not as extremely laid back as I like.

I wear a camelback, or store my tools inside the bike frame.  I like my camelback so I can bring my phone, an orange, tools/tube, a small sunscreen, etc.  

• Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Interesting read from a bikepacker / dropper post view.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/dropper-post-seat-bags/

Based on this, I would think a tool bag would be no problem at all, as they are saying they put over 3 lb. in their seat bags.

Bikepacking is the best f**king website on the web.

My GF's bag would hit the tire on big hits even without a dropper post. When I rode the bike I could compress the lefty so the handlebar bar hit the tire too. 

sd7gRW5KYZFQ4p3SQnBOo_89C_oW4ktmSNE2b4RSgKCJNslnNnDqZVPmcE-ZXg8AaWcLH8BHgkM8O0-q7hqDkahCrLgX8gi-mo5E0v-TDMq1uN0VXSPnw-nEK42Rf-FnAx3FWlX3S6BpFfIbazctnrkzlr0TssG8xxn_GB_bFqtC1nW9jm4wrOzCLygBdX5S4rbEyy_icF_7vxkuHVXDTL1-CMpqIgI3dQl2ViXrn3vbVoYMZM1W-PvHehxLCEf2wbJfrnv9bztbxYPcV7d5P2PpCMXK_rF4e9imralOVRG24DgyIOenm1E0n9IS9qGjI8fK7srO5nuUnI7rFmLDFoDUpXmsDTB0Sn9uYfXl2mE9uhHF5_MsPwWtgfXBq8mtq-JD7TYAuoLnZL06RGDl9nEzb8QJf1hsOB16A06K7VxqHoOZzsgMiid9_Tk6bWeqSDDBMDPh2I0d8Rl2Epjberk3FKj_IUwWLnUHHw2vpNZQc00O5u1yWPRui1sNIcJF2hE8tzzKNfOFY4lEx9wl7viZ-RfbgBVtmOMTVHsiTj_AOwQ0Bh-1Lt68uSwA45JdOg_x03N8tqzDQ6DOeOLy5LMarE97Zji8aTkZYwUav7RxrMFW3g2B7IHGDcsTjNc_fMi8x73Ei9i-4JQBUvrSufSsbaoz1VtWOKt_P0gdwCHbBZRjdX5IMlq6yw0f=w1076-h605-no

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

YES!!!  

I thought of that as well. I have a pack but don’t like riding with it.  

Thanks all for the info.  I just have a multi tool, tube, levers, CO2 & plugs.  I really need a better bag as the one I like can’t fit it all but the one I’m using is too big and looks dorky (to me) but it’s not that heavy. I was also looking at those Topeak Ninja things that attach to the bottle cage to get some stuff out of the bag and downsize the bag.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Thanks all for the info.  I just have a multi tool, tube, levers, CO2 & plugs.  I really need a better bag as the one I like can’t fit it all but the one I’m using is too big and looks dorky (to me) but it’s not that heavy. I was also looking at those Topeak Ninja things that attach to the bottle cage to get some stuff out of the bag and downsize the bag.

I like the tool keg because I have four bikes and just swap it. The downside is it's heavy and it takes a bottle cage. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have seen some people duct tape their tube to the frame.  Also, their is a tool attachment you can get for the bottom of a bike cage.  I have that on a couple of bikes.  It is handy.  Downside, it gets dirty and wet.  One older tool I had rusted from getting wet.  It was garbage anyway.  I have it around in the bike junk pile. 

I'm used to the pack.  Feel naked without it.  <=== self reported.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have seen some people duct tape their tube to the frame.  Also, their is a tool attachment you can get for the bottom of a bike cage.  I have that on a couple of bikes.  It is handy.  Downside, it gets dirty and wet.  One older tool I had rusted from getting wet.  It was garbage anyway.  I have it around in the bike junk pile. 

I'm used to the pack.  Feel naked without it.  <=== self reported.

Stuff getting  wet really isn’t an issue for me!  

Yeah there are straps that secure a tube, lever & CO2 to your frame.  The ideal place for my bike would be under the bottle cage but the brake  der and at some point dropper cables pop out of the frame right there and I don’t want to impinge them.  I could strap it under the top tube by the seat tube but I think it would rub against my legs.  I usually ride in a road style jersey so I could put stuff in my jersey pockets too.

But it seems the dropper should work as is so I can mess around with it later.

1 minute ago, dennis said:

I also have surly junk straps and voile straps and duct tape. When I go bikepacking it's like the Beverly Hillbillies truck. 

Having been a roadie since 1981 I prefer to keep my bike and kit neat & dialed.  Thus the large saddle bag looking dorky to me....  So yeah I could never do that!

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Having been a roadie since 1981 I prefer to keep my bike and kit neat & dialed.  Thus the large saddle bag looking dorky to me....  So yeah I could never do that!

Don't forget zip ties and rubber bands. I carry a few of each. I carry mountain money in my keg as well. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

Don't forget zip ties and rubber bands. I carry a few of each. I carry mountain money in my keg as well. 

The truth of the matter is I don’t ride my Anthem too far out where I couldn’t easily hike back out for help.  The coastal ranges I ride most often are patches of wilderness surrounded by homes & roads.  

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The truth of the matter is I don’t ride my Anthem too far out where I couldn’t easily hike back out for help.  The coastal ranges I ride most often are patches of wilderness surrounded by homes & roads.  

Ok, so one rubber band and two zip ties. And a small can of bear spray. And this ashtray. Stay safe.

Jerks In Congress need a tax on the wealthy. That’s all they need.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 1

26 minutes ago, dennis said:

Ok, so one rubber band and two zip ties. And a small can of bear spray. And this ashtray. Stay safe.

Jerks In Congress need a tax on the wealthy. That’s all they need.

That’s all I need... And this paddle ball. The chair, this tennis racket, a lamp & paddle ball.  That’s all I need!  

When I was in the Army we had a dude fuck up and put a round into a clearing barrel. Not only did he not properly clear his weapon but he missed the hole and hit the drum.  I spouted off, he hates these cans!!!!  Sgt Bishop was hot & told me to shut the fuck up but it was so worth it! 

• Haha 1