DOFETILIDE (TIKOSYN)

Airehead

Sorry, no.   This may sound like an odd suggestion, but do you have Sirius radio?  The Doctor Radio channel is filled with shows from practicing doctors from NYU.    There are a couple cardiac shows including one that airs live early Wednesday morning.  All the live shows have a chance to call in and they often have general questions about medications  including people's experience with them.  If you want a general answer or some background info, it's a surprisingly easy way to get access to some top doctors.  They're obviously not giving specific medical advice or diagnoses, but it can be helpful.

I used to listen on my commute sometimes, and I tuned in during the height of Covid in NY because the emergency room doctors were discussing the events in almost real time.  It was some of the most accurate info of what was really going on at the hospitals in NY.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Does this help?  :D

220px-Dofetilide.png

Yes.  Apparently this drug can have life threatening side effects so you have to be in the hospital to have the first 6th doses administered.  I guess if that doesn't kill you, you take dose 7 at home and your problems vanish.  Who takes drugs like this?  People who have run out of options.

11 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Yes.  Apparently this drug can have life threatening side effects so you have to be in the hospital to have the first 6th doses administered.  I guess if that doesn't kill you, you take dose 7 at home and your problems vanish.  Who takes drugs like this?  People who have run out of options.

Yes, as an alternative to surgery it is probably not a bad deal. 

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yes, as an alternative to surgery it is probably not a bad deal. 

surgery has been done-- no more surgical options.  Also ablation isn't an option.  Pace maker did not work.  Cardio inversion was unsuccessful.  Maze procedure actually seems to have made it worse.  So here we are. 

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Side effects from drugs are so scary.  I wish there were better options.

I was looking up the interactions and I would not be able to take it without getting away from the hydrochlorothiazide that I take to control high blood pressure.

According to my source, not only do you have to be in the hospital for the first doses but you have to stay in the hospital for at least three days so that they can monitor your heart rhythim.

5 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I never heared of a pacemaker not working. :(

Agreed, they first checked that the unit worked and the wires were functional.  They seem to be.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was looking up the interactions and I would not be able to take it without getting away from the hydrochlorothiazide that I take to control high blood pressure.

According to my source, not only do you have to be in the hospital for the first doses but you have to stay in the hospital for at least three days so that they can monitor your heart rhythim.

Yep-- this is the plan after some other stuff tomorrow

3 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I don't know anything about it but I don't like the sound of this. Prayers and all the best I can send.

Exactly what we need.  Also, if you see Einstein on Facebook this weekend, post something interesting for him to ponder but dont ask him how he is feeling.  He is really sick of that question.

• Heart 1