Oranges have sucked recently

Mr. Silly
Go to solution Solved by ChrisL,

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I think I am giving up on them for a couple months.  They're not very juicy and the skin doesn't peal off very easily.  

What have yore experiences been with oranges recently?

I'm wise enough to know exactly which oranges to buy to be happy every time!

image.png.9f584d4675671643ae2d7a120f8619df.png

That being said, I might be willing to try another variety:

image.thumb.png.5b953d5a932a78995aa8ccd55abe123f.png

• Heart 2

• Solution
2 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I think I am giving up on them for a couple months.  They're not very juicy and the skin doesn't peal off very easily.  

What have yore experiences been with oranges recently?

I haven’t been buying them as it’s still too early in the year.  They need at least another month to come in season.  

You are probably buying Southern Hemisphere fruit picked well before ripe & have been sitting for a while.  

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I haven’t been buying them as it’s still too early in the year.  They need at least another month to come in season.  

You are probably buying Southern Hemisphere fruit picked well before ripe & have been sitting for a while.  

OK, I'll give them more time.  I was blaming Anita Bryant. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I like Cuties but even these have seemed a bit bitter at times lately.  I had to throw one away as it tasted like orange scented floor polish.

I like Cuties too.  I wish they come in smaller packages.  That bags I see at the store look like they have aboot a dozen in them.  I can only eat one a day.

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

I like Cuties too.  I wish they come in smaller packages.  That bags I see at the store look like they have aboot a dozen in them.  I can only eat one a day.

why only one a day?  They are one third the size of an orange, so you should eat at least two per sitting.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I thought you just gathered yours off the front lawn as they fall from the sky in So Cal.  No?

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I thought you just gathered yours off the front lawn as they fall from the sky in So Cal.  No?

I do! We’ll sort of... I pluck them off neighbors trees that hang over into common areas during my dog walks.   They are full sized but still green.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I do! We’ll sort of... I pluck them off neighbors trees that hang over into common areas during my dog walks.   They are full sized but still green.

sort of like @Razors Edge? He is still very green you see.

I remember you picking them on dog walks.  Must be pretty awesome!  

44 minutes ago, jsharr said:

sort of like @Razors Edge? He is still very green you see.

I remember you picking them on dog walks.  Must be pretty awesome!  

I took jack for a “pee walk”, this is maybe a 200 yard stroll in our development.

Juice orange tree. Really sweet but hard to peel so I cut them into 1/4’s.

DF5C293E-6108-4415-A1BD-FC3AB2C308E2.thumb.jpeg.1638e897c2a319cbe7566686cd014f43.jpeg

Avocado tree, one of many...

5C42F30C-F711-4410-8345-968992CD20B1.thumb.jpeg.db44bd76bd52fb0472e2200d74ed0864.jpeg

• Heart 1

OK...As a person who grew up in grove country

Oranges NEED a cold snap - but not a freeze. They must be picking them green as it is a month or so too early. A cold snap, dropping into the lower 40s, upper 30s, is what releases the sugars, enhancing the flavor.

Back in my high school days, easy money was when a freeze approached - paid even if didn't freeze. Companies would hire us (high schoolers) to spend the night in the grove - freezing our azz off but having fun, and on the foreman's signal when hit 31 degrees, we would spread out to light the oil smudge pots, or more likely, piles of tires...until a decade later when the EPA stopped the the practice. We, and the entire community stunk from the fire pollution, and of course missed the next day of school. But we did have some spending money.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Oranges NEED a cold snap - but not a freeze. They must be picking them green as it is a month or so too early. A cold snap, dropping into the lower 40s, upper 30s, is what releases the sugars, enhancing the flavor.

Check out the migrant worker.  Knows his shit about oranges.