It's Complicated!

Razors Edge

...or is it?

I have always liked the word "complications" with regard to watches.  What got me thinking about it again today was that, while in the past it WAS complicated to execute them, it is fairly easy in today's digital watch world.  Looking at my Apple Watch or something like a Garmin Fenix, it's all software and the visual representation of info on a watch face which is pretty much identical to the process for a phone or a pad or a laptop.  What was complicated - representing the moon or planets crossing the sky over time - is now just as simple as displaying a time and date.

Wiki list several variations:

• Timing complications (visible)
  • Timing complications (hidden)
  • Astronomical complications
  • Striking complications
  • Non-horological complications
  • Grand(e) complications

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Well let it, then, and stop whining about it. You've turned into a pansy since you moved to the left side. Are you hanging out with Barbra?

barbra-streisand-democratic-politics-ess

Babs moved to Jackson Hole.  No one lives in California anymore! It's way too crowded.

Almost every time I hear "It's complicated," it reminds me of a conversation with my college advisor.

Professor Vitullo: "Pay attention!  You're the only Junior on campus that will be allowed to operate the NMR and it's complicated!

First of all, do not enter the NMR room wearing a watch or a calculator: the huge and powerful magnet that causes the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance will permanently magnetize them and they won't work.

After you insert your sample, there will be an unfocused reading.  To sharpen it, you must tweak this Fine-Y control.  Repeat that after me: Tweak the Fine-Y."

Me: "Tweak the Fine Y.  Hey Doc, what does it do to the ferromagnetic metal ions in our bodies?  Does our iron-based blood get magnetized?"

Professor Vitullo: "Probably, but it's complicated!  At least it won't make you any dumber."

I was scared shitless and the conversation became burned in my memory, but he was just pulling my leg.