Something to think about (If you have twenty minutes to spare)

Longjohn

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Are you a member of the Academy of Ideas, @Longjohn
This part is Ayn Rand-ish. 

FD00607E-70D1-4BDC-B0DC-FF3449D590B2.jpeg

Actually I was scrolling up on my touch screen and accidentally touched this. It came up and started playing. I watched and listened to it and left it play the whole way through. I liked it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I first saw this quote at the beginning of a graduate-level chemistry text and used to show it to my gifted and talented chemistry classes and ask them what it means.

From W. H. Auden, For the Time Being:

The 1st Wise Man:

To break down her defenses, and profit from the vision,

With rack and screw I put Nature through a thorough inquisition.

But she was so afraid that if I were disappointed,

I should hurt her more, so her answers were disjointed.

I did. I didn't. I will. I won't.

Nature is, in fact, just as big a liar as we are.

To discover how to be truthful now,

I the reason I follow this star.

At least one of those high IQ kids in each class would pick up on "as big a liar as we are" and correctly conclude it means we try to make the facts of the world fit the conclusions we want them to fit, whether its the truth or not.  It means that when we put nature through a thorough inquisition, we can only correctly conclude things based on what data and observations clearly tell us.

This is near the top of my list of things that I am not doing. (But want to, not a list of things I am not EVER doing).

This thought is from an old boss of mine who I didn’t really appreciate at the time, but in retrospect he did turn oot to be one of my best ever because he gave me a nice individual bonus that no others ever have. And also in retrospect I have come to appreciate his Wally-fu. :D  For example, he would tell whiners and malcontents that they really needed to lower their expectations. Sage advice indeed in the corporate jungle. :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1