Deer

dinneR

I've had a very narrow miss, we both stood on the brakes and by the time we stopped, I could have kissed the deer.  Pretty funny, we both just froze and stared for a second.  It dove into the woods, I started pedalling.  The deer tried to jump back into the road.  screeching brakes again, not quite as close this time.  The third time, the deer realized it wasn't happening and turned back into the woods.

Had a turkey run right at me once, got a few feet away when it realized it wasn't a great idea.

A friend of my cousins' was not so lucky.  Broke her neck on a deer, didn't make it.

• Sad 1

I had a kamikaze critter miss my front wheel by inches the other evening. It ran so fast I didn’t get a good look at it. It was dark brown and furry, about the size of a big fat raccoon but really fast. Squirrels do that all the time and hopefully I could run over a squirrel and not crash. This was much bigger than a squirrel, probably would have made me crash if he had been successful. Why don’t critters look where they are going? I was the only one on the road in either direction. He could have waited two seconds.

Gina has ran over 2 squirrels, about 3 years apart each incident.  One beeped real loud and kept going. The other not sure, she said she thinks it just lay there as we rolled off. 

They are crazy over here on this trail. You can see them coming from 10 yards out from the sides. But they still try to beat you across no matter what. Maybe seen one out of 50 turn around.

That Geico commercial thing with the squirrels is about accurate. :D

22 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

That Geico commercial thing with the squirrels is about accurate.

Absolutely, you can’t out maneuver them because they are fast and can’t make up their minds. One yesterday ran full speed out in front of me, he could have made it if he kept going but he saw me and turned around and started running back the way he came, then changed his mind and turned back towards me reconsidered and ran back the way he came.

Someone is always posting a picture of a squirrel that ran through the front wheel and when it came up to the rim brake it locked up the wheel and broke the carbon fork. But that’s on the internet so no idea if it’s real. I can’t see how that would be any different than locking up the front brake. Front forks should be built to withstand hard braking.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Absolutely, you can’t out maneuver them because they are fast and can’t make up their minds. One yesterday ran full speed out in front of me, he could have made it if he kept going but he saw me and turned around and started running back the way he came, then changed his mind and turned back towards me reconsidered and ran back the way he came.

Someone is always posting a picture of a squirrel that ran through the front wheel and when it came up to the rim brake it locked up the wheel and broke the carbon fork. But that’s on the internet so no idea if it’s real. I can’t see how that would be any different than locking up the front brake. Front forks should be built to withstand hard braking.

I had one run between my wheels once, felt his tail hit my ankle area. That was a close one but he made it. Most times is it wide open so we can see them coming but between bushes, forget about it. :o

Yeah, can't trust those carbon haters. :D

1 minute ago, Mr Beanz said:

Doesn't make sense to me that the bulk of the animal would be on the trailing side of the wheel. Seems it would get stuck at the front as the tail would easily slip through at that point.

Those handle bars are turned.  If he ran into the wheel the direction of rotation would have put him like that. The front on the fork is where the breake is.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Those handle bars are turned.  If he ran into the wheel the direction of rotation would have put him like that. The front on the fork is where the breake is.

Ah yeah, you're right,  not sure what I was thinking. But I mysefl do rdie in revesre a lot like my tpyting. :lol:

• Haha 1