Tell me all about headphones

Further

In Walmart the other day I noticed the headphone display.

A long time ago I was and avid headphone user, Koss 4AA I believe. Payed about 60 dollars for them in 1972 or so.

Anyway, I tried on a set of Bose headphones and was impressed as all hell. But they cost 350 dollars, at Walmart. WTF.

Seems kind of steep.

I don't think I should be using noise canceling headphones anyway, if my wife needed me I would hate to be zoning out on Hemans Hermits while she lay on the floor. Pretty sure I'd hear her through the ear buds.

• Haha 1

I haven't used headphones for a long time....   (no ear buds, ever...)

I had a pair of Sennheiser headphones like these, if memory serves... from the 80s.    They died from foam rot, many years ago.   But they had great sound.   I can't remember how much they cost.

44.jpg

I mostly don't like headphones, and since I just live with the cat, I rarely use them.  But now that most of our work calls are done on the computer, i'd likely need some when/if we go back to the office.  I have both earbuds and slightly bigger headphones that stay on a bit better, but I still don't really like them.

While I have some earbuds, I prefer over the ear cups and find on the ear uncomfortable and hot. For years used Logitech’s or similar with or without a boom mic in the sub $50 range. Four years ago graduated to the $200-400 range. Got some Bower & Wilkins P7 and the difference was amazing. While it didn’t have the noise cancellation like some competing models, was still great in an airplane. Sadly, a couple months ago the headband disconnected and I couldn’t figure out DIY repair solution, so while still useable, back in the market. Again back in the 300+ range and was debating between several. Then I saw the Sony I was considering at an amazing $249 sale price at the Navy Exchange, where everywhere else was $350. 

The ones I got where the Sony wh-1000xm4 which as I look today, are on Black Friday sale at many stores at $249 and even lower.  While both headphones are Bluetooth and I have no problem with Apple products, my PC hates Bluetooth and continually drops, so I primarily use the wired option. A side benefit, plugged into the device and not wearing, I can’t hear the pushed ads that auto play as you open a page. Here is a picture of my B&W fail.

D1683B02-C271-4B1D-B76C-EB33D450A87F.jpeg