Can You Imagine How Much Faster Lance Would Be?

Razors Edge

For the record, @Square Wheels might consider this handlebar tweak for his bike rather than messing with slamming his bars?  Narrow where you want them narrow, but with width in the drops? Not quite like many gravel bikes, but leaning that way while also embracing the narrower top plus a mild angle of the shifters to get a rider the most aero without aerobars. 

Up front, the Madone will feature a new SLR bar/stem design which uses flared drops to put the rider in a more aerodynamic position. The 3cm flare means a rider on a 42cm bar will be 39cm at the hoods, and 42cm at the drops. That should make you more aero when you need it, while providing power and control while sprinting.

Bare/Stem Details

• The width on this bar is measured at the drops
  • The tops are 3 cm narrower than the drops
  • Reach: 80 mm
  • Drop: 124 mm
  • Blendr compatible
  • Stem/Bar combo sizes per frame size: 47cm: 38×80 mm, 50 & 52: 40×90 mm, 54: 42×90 mm, 56-58: 42×100 mm, 60-62: 44×110 mm

While Trek is excited about the new Bar/Stem combo, they also know that it won’t work for everyone. Because of that, the Madone has different bearing covers for the headset to allow it to work with any standard road stem on the market.

MadoneSLR6eTap_23_37417_B_Alt6-Large.jpe

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I am not in the market for a new bike.  Maybe in 10 years, if I'm still riding, and if I'm still alive.

I was suggesting that new bar/stem as a good upgrade without breaking the bank and without requiring you to contort in any dramatic way.

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I was suggesting that new bar/stem as a good upgrade without breaking the bank and without requiring you to contort in any dramatic way.

My stem is already short, and it's what fits.  My bars are also the right width for my shoulders.  Not sure I want to tinker with those.

Also, I never said I was going to slam the bars, but take out a spacer or two, which I have since abandoned.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My stem is already short, and it's what fits.  My bars are also the right width for my shoulders.  Not sure I want to tinker with those.

Also, I never said I was going to slam the bars, but take out a spacer or two, which I have since abandoned.

Just get the bars, man!  You want more speed and a sexier look on the bike, and those bars are a great way to achieve that!!!  And trust me, your bars are wider than you need/want. :)

Almost every sport has increased speed artificially.

I've often wondered if the NFL could cut down on injuries if they eliminated the speed advantage of today's cleats.

I told one of my cross country kids that I had run the mile in 4:45 in high school in the summer after my junior year and he pointed to one of our track athletes, who played soccer in the Fall, and mentioned he had run the mile in 4:13 in his junior year.  I said, yeah, let's see what time he'd run wearing heavy cleats with 3/4" spikes and running on a cinder track.

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

How much?

They don't look at all like mine, not sure they will mount.

Please send me a set.

Gotta be cheap.  A few hundred?

If you can't be bothered to verify they'll work on your bike, maybe I'll keep them for myself.  It'll would have to give me, what, 10 seconds over a 30km course?  That's $$$ well spent!