I Can't Imagine

Razors Edge

...but I think @Square Wheels can lend some perspective on how fun it is to ride even just 7 miles with those kinds of grade. :D

The Mount Washington Auto Road—originally the Mount Washington Carriage Road[1]—is a 7.6 mi (12.2 km) toll road in southern Coos County, New Hampshire that extends from New Hampshire Route 16 in Green's Grant, just north of Pinkham Notch, westward across Pinkham's Grant and Thompson and Meserve's Purchase to the summit of Mount Washington in the White Mountains of the US state of New Hampshire. The road climbs 4,618 ft (1,408 m) from an altitude of 1,527 ft (465 m) at the bottom to 6,145 ft (1,873 m) at the top, an average gradient of 11.6%. The road was completed and opened to the public in 1861.[2]

• Heart 1

I did a training ride up to Orestes falls years ago. Me, Webby  sir Lance I'm not, ocrrick, and a  few others from the love forum. 

We rode out about 30 miles all in hills and mountains.  The last stretch was 22%. Gina had driven support for us. On that last stretch,  she pulled up along my side and asked how I was doing. 

I couldn't talk,  I was standing trying to make it up the final stretch of about 100 yards. It was tough but I made it on my standard crank 53/39- 12/25.

But I made it without falling over. 😄

Poor Webby never made it passed Damnation Alley. It was a hot day and he said he was getting nauseated so he turned back.   When I got to the top of Damnation Alley, I thought it was over but we hadn't even made it to the hard part yet.🤣

I can't imagine how these guys feel. I'm going to say I was doing 2 mph if I was lucky. 😆

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

@Zealot did it too.

You ride a few hundred yards flat, then the 12% starts.  You get a few breaks where it's about 6 - 8% for a hundred feet or so.  There's a section about a mile or so long that 18%.  The end is 20+%.

I am not a pro.

I did it when I was 50.

My VO2 Max is not in the 80s.

The hill is relentless.  There are no flat parts and certainly no downhill like you saw in today's stage.  It goes up the whole 7.6 miles.  0 breaks, 0 opportunities to "rest"

Without a doubt, it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  

Go find a 12% hill, then imagine that for over 7 miles, with a nice little 1+ mile 18% section (until this year, that was unpaved), and a finish of 20+%.

I am happy I did it, but at my age, it's not likely I will ever do it again.

My wife was at the top waiting for me, she sat at the 20% section.  She said a lot of people fell over.  There were nice people on foot asking if you wanted a push, I couldn't breathe at that point, let alone speak, so I just shook my head no.

The only "flat" section was just before you crossed the line.

1.jpg

Done!!!

2.jpg

I love this story every time I read it.  What a blast!

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I love this story every time I read it.  What a blast!

Me too.  I did a couple 100m of a climb with the last 60m or so at 22% at the end of a 80km ride.  I can't imagine the sufferfest of My Washington. 

My thought was Battle Mountain 2 years ago. Steady 12-15% grade. A few 18% segments. All on rocky unpaved road. After a segment where it leveled off to around 10%, it kicked up into the 20+ percent grade. My legs noped. I couldn’t turn around on the narrow trail so I dismounted. I couldn’t get back on the bike until I walked it to that 10% section. From there it was a white knuckle descent. I was using enough brakes to slow, but trying not to slide much or endo. I have great respect for what they do!