Quote of the Day: Tennessee Williams

Inspiration Bot

55 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We should be getting quotes from Tennessee Wheels pretty soon. As soon as he gets rid of those square wheels and gets some gravel wheels to smooth out his commute

Great!  Now I have to keep Tennessee Wheels, Tennessee Williams, and Tennessee Ernie Ford straight in my brian. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"To be free is to have achieved your life."

Sounds like the point of view of someone who has/had goals.  For example, I spent tens of hours last year looking for the right available gas range online or in lots of stores for my rebuilt house within $300 of the State Farm/contractor's $620 budget: stainless steel, 5 burners, great electronic controls, Bluetooth, with a broiler at the top of the oven.  Finding models wasn't the problem, but the good, lower-cost ones were unavailable for 6 months or more.  I knew I wouldn't be "free" and would be kicking myself every time I used a bottom broiler or poor controls if I settled for a poorer design.  Finally, I found a great oven for $949 and was willing to pay the difference, but the contractor managed to include the cost within his overall budget.

Unfortunately, I've met too many people who never seem to have goals.

In one case, I had a gifted student who didn't work very hard.  He told me he was going to let the fruits of life come to him as they would since he believed life was a roll of the dice.

He said his father was lazy and the insurance company for which he was an agent decided to push him out and reassigned him a territory in a rural area between Baltimore and Washington that had too low a population to give him a decent income.

Shortly afterward, Rouse and Company, home builders, decided to build a city, buying the land, laying out the streets, organizing the constuction of a huge mall, a hospital, schools, etc. and Columbia, Maryland was born in a perfect location and thrived from the start!

The student's father became wealthy by sheer luck!

I told him that if his father didn't have the skills to take advantage of the opportunity, he wouldn't have become rich.  Building skills doesn't mean you're going to be financially comfortable, but without them you won't be in a position to take advantage of opportunities to become financially comfortable.  Throughout like, opportunities will arise from time to time.

I don't know how well he did in the rest of his high school career, but he did well from that time on in Honors Chemistry.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Sounds like the point of view of someone who has/had goals.  For example, I spent tens of hours last year looking for the right available gas range online or in lots of stores for my rebuilt house within $300 of the State Farm/contractor's $620 budget: stainless steel, 5 burners, great electronic controls, Bluetooth, with a broiler at the top of the oven.  Finding models wasn't the problem, but the good, lower-cost ones were unavailable for 6 months or more.  I knew I wouldn't be "free" and would be kicking myself every time I used a bottom broiler or poor controls if I settled for a poorer design.  Finally, I found a great oven for $949 and was willing to pay the difference, but the contractor managed to include the cost within his overall budget.

Unfortunately, I've met too many people who never seem to have goals.

In one case, I had a gifted student who didn't work very hard.  He told me he was going to let the fruits of life come to him as they would since he believed life was a roll of the dice.

He said his father was lazy and the insurance company for which he was an agent decided to push him out and reassigned him a territory in a rural area between Baltimore and Washington that had too low a population to give him a decent income.

Shortly afterward, Rouse and Company, home builders, decided to build a city, buying the land, laying out the streets, organizing the constuction of a huge mall, a hospital, schools, etc. and Columbia, Maryland was born in a perfect location and thrived from the start!

The student's father became wealthy by sheer luck!

I told him that if his father didn't have the skills to take advantage of the opportunity, he wouldn't have become rich.  Building skills doesn't mean you're going to be financially comfortable, but without them you won't be in a position to take advantage of opportunities to become financially comfortable.  Throughout like, opportunities will arise from time to time.

I don't know how well he did in the rest of his high school career, but he did well from that time on in Honors Chemistry.

What if my goal was to have no goals?  :) 

• Awesome 1