New Road Design Seems Like A More Efficient Way To Kill Cyclists

JerrySTL

Upsetting.  Yes, riders will be killed.  I have nopticed we are going the opposite way for road safety for cyclists and peds.  They are doing some sketchy stuff in city planning.  They are skirting policy for bike lanes in some areas.  Nee developments and good 'ol boy stuff going on.  It's crap.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes, riders will be killed. 

It won't happen.  Probably floated to make drivers angry enough to kibosh any bike lanes at all! :angry:

Two things come to mind - bike lanes don't need to be full sized car lanes and there are countless places to actually study working bike lanes.

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It won't happen.  Probably floated to make drivers angry enough to kibosh any bike lanes at all! :angry:

Two things come to mind - bike lanes don't need to be full sized car lanes and there are countless places to actually study working bike lanes.

Bike lanes need barriers between them and drivers who don't care.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

From the linked article;    Known as two-way yield streets, this traffic configuration came about when Kalamazoo residents wanted parking added on the neighborhood street 

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Seems a crazy way to direct traffic. I wouldn't ride on such a road.

Driving down that road would be bad too. 

You get to play chicken with oncoming traffic.  And then when you give up you both move (if you are lucky) to the right and pass each other.   

Bikes and runners... will be road kill, because so people wanted to park on the street. 

I know of one of these IRL - it's in Princeton but I don't know if it's a municipal road or a University campus road.  It's too narrow for bike lanes (22 feet IIRC).  I feel perfectly safe riding on it, though I feel pretty safe on most quiet streets.  At my previous firm we proposed it on another street in Princeton but I don't know if it advanced to design.

I know this configuration as an "advisory bike lane", an idea borrowed from Europe.  They're only installed on very low volume roads - I think the preferred maximum is 2,000 vehicles per day which would roughly equate to 200 vehicles during a "peak hour" - so just over 3 cars per minute, average.

And - speed demons are everywhere, not just Michigan. :D