Garbage follies and the fun garbage company monopoly

Dirtyhip

I have the smallest can they will provide for garbage pickup.  3/5 times they do not empty the entire can.  The garbage guy flips the can so fast that garbage doesn't come out.  I carefully pack that stupid thing.  I try to put heavy things at the bottom of the can ad I never push it down.  The cans are shaped in a manner that are tapered and I swear it is a bad design.  The sma..est cans are the worst.

So, I end up having this half can that NEVER GOES AWAY.  This company as a sweet little monopoly and they do not care.  When I call it is a song and dance that you cant push down the contents.  Yeah, I never push it down.  I set it in gently.  

Also, if your lid is not closed, they overcharge you.  I think it was like ten bucks if your can is merely cracked and not closed all the way.  I never push the lid down.  I end up tossing garbage at gas stations or supermarkets.  

Monopolies are supposed to be illegal.  Garbage companies, and our local interenet providers are monopolies.  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Try spraying the can with a lubricant like silicone spray. It might help things slide out better.

I use a large 100-gallon plastic trash bag in our garbage can. It helps keep away the damned maggots and flies. If I don't tuck in the top of the bag on garbage day, sometimes the bag will hang up on the edges of the can when the truck dumps it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have the smallest can they will provide for garbage pickup.  3/5 times they do not empty the entire can.  The garbage guy flips the can so fast that garbage doesn't come out.  I carefully pack that stupid thing.  I try to put heavy things at the bottom of the can ad I never push it down.  The cans are shaped in a manner that are tapered and I swear it is a bad design.  The sma..est cans are the worst.

So, I end up having this half can that NEVER GOES AWAY.  This company as a sweet little monopoly and they do not care.  When I call it is a song and dance that you cant push down the contents.  Yeah, I never push it down.  I set it in gently.  

Also, if your lid is not closed, they overcharge you.  I think it was like ten bucks if your can is merely cracked and not closed all the way.  I never push the lid down.  I end up tossing garbage at gas stations or supermarkets.  

Monopolies are supposed to be illegal.  Garbage companies, and our local interenet providers are monopolies.  

That really sucks!

When we were in CA cleaning out and getting my wife's father's home ready to sell, it was a never ending battle with the trash company.  One can, not overflowing, and charges for extra.  We could add to neighbors' cans to top them off, but that was a PITA too.  If they had returned a can still partially full, my wife would have torn them a new one!

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

That really sucks!

When we were in CA cleaning out and getting my wife's father's home ready to sell, it was a never ending battle with the trash company.  One can, not overflowing, and charges for extra.  We could add to neighbors' cans to top them off, but that was a PITA too.  If they had returned a can still partially full, my wife would have torn them a new one!

My recourse was running out to the street and telling them "Dump it again, it is not emptied."  They come at 5:30 am, so that is a challenge at times.  

If I don't do this, it ends up being theft of services for a week as I find other places to dump it.  Grrr.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Get the largest can (plastic bin?)  they have and your old stuff most likely won't get stuck inside when they dump it. 

You are suggesting that I pay more for a service that I don't need to use.  I only fill half a can, if they actually take it on dump day.  I only need a small bin and I refuse to pay higher.  

No.

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I only fill half a can,

Your garbage is too light.

If you're only filling half a can, put everything in a single large bag, and put the heavy stuff on top.  The heavy stuff will start to fall when they dump it, dragging the bag with it, and the light stuff will follow since it's all in the same bag.

If that doesn't work, make a spacer out of scrap cardboard that wedges in the can and takes up half the can, putting your garbage at the top of the can.  The garbage will dump but the spacer won't because it's light and wedged in.  If you have more than half a can, take the spacer out.

If you don't want to do that, put all your garbage in a plastic bag, and run the garden hose in the bag.  It will make your garbage heavy so it comes out of the can when they dump it.

Sorry.. didn't know it would cost more. 

We have a one size is good for all bin that they provide (not sure what it costs).  It maybe 40% full on garbage day.

Plan B

Maybe there is a problem with vacuum when the bin is turned upside down?  Drill some holes in the bottom to let air get into the bottom of the bin when it is being dumped. 

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Sorry.. didn't know it would cost more. 

We have a one size is good for all bin that they provide (not sure what it costs).  It maybe 40% full on garbage day.

Plan B

Maybe there is a problem with vacuum when the bin is turned upside down?  Drill some holes in the bottom to let air get into the bottom of the bin when it is being dumped. 

I fully intend to try that lubrication plan.  

35 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Your garbage is too light.

Yes, example, we have a big chunk of that styrofoam stuff.  It never wants to come out of the bin.  I bust off a piece and put it in the bin and it still remains.  

The garbage people never answer their phone.  When they do, they are rude.  This is the thing with monopolies.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

that styrofoam stuff. 

That is a government issue I always complain about.  If things need to be recycled, limit shippers to recyclable only materials.  Styrofoam should be banished from the face of the earth.  It kills me when I see businesses using styrofoam coffee cups. 

• Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That is a government issue I always complain about.  If things need to be recycled, limit shippers to recyclable only materials.  Styrofoam should be banished from the face of the earth.  It kills me when I see businesses using styrofoam coffee cups. 

Companies need to retool to use cardboard for items that need a snug fit during shipping.  Products will cost more.  That foam stuff is light.