Alexey builds up his own bikes

bikeman564™

Building your own bike is a lot of fun, you get exactly what you want and you learn how to maintain it.  Once you learn just a few things they aren't all that difficult.

Truth:  I don't weld my own frames.  I purchase the components and assemble the bike.  I used to build my own wheels but for the last bike I bought a set of machine made wheels, De-tensioned them and redid them.  Shimano makes good wheels.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Building your own bike is a lot of fun, you get exactly what you want and you learn how to maintain it.  Once you learn just a few things they aren't all that difficult.

Truth:  I don't weld my own frames.  I purchase the components and assemble the bike.  I used to build my own wheels but for the last bike I bought a set of machine made wheels, De-tensioned them and redid them.  Shimano makes good wheels.

For me I had the best of both worlds.  On two bikes I got to pick the frame and every part that went on it.  And then the shop built it up!  

16 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

that's impressive :) so glad I got to meet him, he's very nice.

Wouldn’t it be great to have a garage stocked like that!!!!

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I gotta think he’s sponsored, thus gets all the cool bits.

Yes, He's got a good gig going now. He was sponsored by Bianchi from his Lotto Jumbo days, now Factor. Not sure how the one-off sponsorships are handled v. teams but he's happier now. He gets to do events he wants and interact one-on-one w/ manufacturers.  He wins money from races, but I'm not sure how he earns a salary, if he does.

In the likes of Ted King, he is a big ambassador for Cannondale, and always has the newest bikes. Not sure how that all works either. From interviews, I he raced in the era of a decent wage, but by no means millions. Some maybe, but not all. Just glad to know they're doing well from what the public sees.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1