Hey diabetics of SWF, what was your glucose level this morning?

Mr. Silly

I don’t check very often. I’ve just finished a course of prednisone, which raises mine a lot, and readings have been 237, 177 and 200 this week. That’s when I get to the office and after having drank 10 ounces of low sodium V-8.

Should come lower next week, but not likely below 130.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I seldom get below 70.   Did you a bowl full of orange pulp to raise it? 

Naw but it took some work to get it to start rising.

My 53 was at about 4:00 am, eastern daylight time.  I had 1/2 cup of oatmeal (25 g carbs), a cup of fuity yohgurt (12 g carbs) and an apple (12 g carbs) by 5:00 along with my insoline.  It didn't go up, instead it was still trending down.   I had a slice of wheat bread (20 g carbs) with peanut butter at about 7:30 and it still didn't go above 60 so I had some cookies (35 g carbs) at 8:30.  By 9:00 my glocose started rising.  Late morning is typically my high since I still haven't figured out how to manage my recovery from an overnight fast and mid-morning snacks,  Right now I am at 160 and dropping (I was 170 when I started typing this).

• Heart 1

Mine was 213 after a 300 Cal Jimmy Dean "Delights" (allegedly healthy) Farmhouse Breakfast Bowl plus one Ding Dong.

I also often have the "Dawn Effect" where the glucose is fine when you go to bed and high when you wake up and that contributed a little to the reading.

It's now under 200 and dropping with a 12-unit shot of long-duration insulin.

Mine has been running high and I see my endocrinologist in a couple hours, who says we may try a new program of meds.

My sister and BiL are taking once-a-week Mounjaro along with other meds and are seeing good glucose results and losing weight.

I'm going to see if that's good for me today.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sick?  What is up? flu? cold? Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah I guess just a bad case of the crud.  WOChrisL has a mild case of Covid.  She feels fine except for congestion & a mild cough.  I feel like shit, body ache, headache & congestion but am negative for Covid?

So the Ozempic effect is real.  My appetite is GONE.  Urges to snack at night GONE.  Dealing with some digestive issues, but not too bad.  My reading this AM was 149.  That is drop of over 50 points in just over a week.  I am dropping weight again.  Was around 231 and this AM weighed 226.

Things are moving in the right direction.  Need to find the time and energy to hit the gym or the walking / cycling trails.  

• Awesome 2

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So the Ozempic effect is real.  My appetite is GONE.  Urges to snack at night GONE.  Dealing with some digestive issues, but not too bad.  My reading this AM was 149.  That is drop of over 50 points in just over a week.  I am dropping weight again.  Was around 231 and this AM weighed 226.

Things are moving in the right direction.  Need to find the time and energy to hit the gym or the walking / cycling trails.  

I lost around 15 lbs when I first started it too, yeah it knocks the shit out of your hunger.   It can wear off over time though so keep that in mind and use this period to build healthy habits.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I lost around 15 lbs when I first started it too, yeah it knocks the shit out of your hunger.   It can wear off over time though so keep that in mind and use this period to build healthy habits.  

I recall that.  But so much better than Rybelsus.  It was not working at all for me.   

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

My reading this AM was 149.  That is drop of over 50 points in just over a week.  I am dropping weight again.  Was around 231 and this AM weighed 226.

Very cool.  

Big fluctuations in glucose is normal.  You didn't eat a big ass-sub for a late dinner last night like you did the day before (did you?).  

I was in the low 50's yesterday morning.  I was a VERY close to target at 109 this morning.  That is also a 50 point swing in one day.  I just made a point of having a snake before I went to bed.  What you eat and activity makes a huge difference. 

Just now, Mr. Silly said:

Very cool.  

Big fluctuations in glucose is normal.  You didn't eat a big ass-sub for a late dinner last night like you did the day before (did you?).  

I was in the low 50's yesterday morning.  I was a VERY close to target at 109 this morning.  That is also a 50 point swing in one day.  I just made a point of having a snake before I went to bed.  What you eat and activity makes a huge difference. 

I have been taking regular reading again for a about a week.  Fasting glucose late last week in the AM was 197 and 228 on two consecutive mornings.  Was not tracking food intake.  Yesterday my reading was 169, glucose today was 149.  So trying to compare apples to apples.

Mid day and afternoon readings have been under 150 this week.  Had one spike to 186 that was fueled by a pack of peanut butter crackers that I had for lunch.

On Wednesay I had a pre lunch reading of 129 and an afternoon reading of 134.  Lunch was a bowl of beef, barley and veggie soup.

• Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Very cool.  

what kind of snake?  

Indiana Jones GIF

• Haha 2

122 this AM.  Still trending downward.  Weight was 227.2 this AM.  BP was 110/79.    My goal this week with my health coach was to increase my level of activity.  Target to start is 30 minutes of vigorous activity three times per week.  We also set a 90 day goal of 5-10 lbs of weight loss.  At 200 lbs I would be skinny I feel.  Maybe not, as I do not carry as much muscle as I did back in the day when I weighed 200 in my 20s  Losing 27 lbs will be a challenge.  Time will tell.

• Awesome 2

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

122 this AM.  Still trending downward.  Weight was 227.2 this AM.  BP was 110/79.    My goal this week with my health coach was to increase my level of activity.  Target to start is 30 minutes of vigorous activity three times per week.  We also set a 90 day goal of 5-10 lbs of weight loss.  At 200 lbs I would be skinny I feel.  Maybe not, as I do not carry as much muscle as I did back in the day when I weighed 200 in my 20s  Losing 27 lbs will be a challenge.  Time will tell.

I find it interesting that the Virta plan doesn’t emphasize physical activity.  The plan is focused on diet, mainly what & how much.  There is a strong focus on why people over eat & triggers & all that.  Basically they say if you want to  work out fine, if not fine too.  I also find it interesting that they don’t recommend adjusting the food plan even if you do work out.

My rides are currently no more than 25 miles or 1.5 hour MTB rides so I haven’t needed additional nutrition but as I ramp up miles I’m wondering how that is going to go?  I’ll have a gel with me in case and see what happens.  

122 is a nice drop from where you were.  I’m hovering in the low 100’s, occasionally dropping into the high 90’s.  Since I cut my metformin dose in half I’m not dropping into the low 80’s anymore.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

At 200 lbs I would be skinny I feel. 

Or studly.  Any drop in poundage is good for attracting horny chicks who will later mash your brain into a frothy paste.

I am glad I got a head start on the weight loss at the end of February, I am down from a fat-as-hell-for-me 206 in January to 192 now.  I am a long way from normal for me, but I want to be not horrible to behold when I decide I am ready for more emotional punishment.

Just walking makes a difference with glucose.  Taking the dog for a 20 minute walk can start to bring my glucose level down.  It won't make you studly like RG warned but it will help your glucose.

The other benefit is walking will make you healthier.  Everyone is familiar with the circulatory system.  There you have the heart to pump blood through the body.  There is also the  lymphatic system and it is part of your immune system.  The  lymphatic system doesn't have an organ like the heart to pump lymphatic juices around the body.  Instead it depends on muscle contractions.  Your biggest muscles are in your legs.  Taking a couple 1/2 mile walks a day will help clean waist from your system. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Just walking makes a difference with glucose.  Taking the dog for a 20 minute walk can start to bring my glucose level down.  It won't make you studly like RG warned but it will help your glucose.

The other benefit is walking will make you healthier.  Everyone is familiar with the circulatory system.  There you have the heart to pump blood through the body.  There is also the  lymphatic system and it is part of your immune system.  The  lymphatic system doesn't have an organ like the heart to pump lymphatic juices around the body.  Instead it depends on muscle contractions.  Your biggest muscles are in your legs.  Taking a couple 1/2 mile walks a day will help clean waist from your system. 

I tried to resume running but my knees & ankles just weren’t having it. But WOChrisL and will walk 2-3 miles (30 mins to an hour) 3 times a week, usually Sat, Tues & Wed as well as the daily dog walks. Jack is old now so those are 10 minute strolls in the neighborhood.

Walking is a great for us. 

• Heart 2

161.  I was expecting a high reading.  I do not feel like eating quite a bit of the time but I found a box of TGIF Potato Skins in the freezer and tossed three in the air fryer (kind of a cool machine with a stupid name) and really enjoyed them.  So much so that after waiting abit, I decided I wanted a bit more, so I tossed three more into the vat or hot air to be fried.    Big mistake.  I still feel full and bloated this AM.

On a positive note I am consistently under 225 when I weigh myself.  I weighed 233.2 with clothes and 8.8 lbs less without clothes for that perv @Randomguy.

BP is dropping.  I am learning again the importance of hydration when I am out in the sun.   Not sure why this is, but it is.  I git a bit dizzy and wobbly if I do not stay well hydrated.  

Oh, and I am on the last hole of every belt I wear.  Today I went down a size in jeans.  One more size down and I will be back to what I was wearing in college.  Two more sizes down to my high school size.  

• Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, jsharr said:

BP is dropping.  I am learning again the importance of hydration when I am out in the sun.   Not sure why this is, but it is.  I git a bit dizzy and wobbly if I do not stay well hydrated. 

I am no medical expert and I am pulling this out of my ass but ...  I think when you're properly hydrated, your blood gets deluted a bit which also delutes the glucose in your blood.

I am at 71 now.  A bit low but lunch is moments away.

• Heart 1

116 this morning.  I have noticed the past few days my weight & glucose is creeping up with no changes to my routine?  I’m still happy with my weight, I’d like my glucose a little lower and I’m still maintaining ketosis so all good there. 

• Heart 1

Not good. 216. Not sure why it’s so high. I’m taking it at 8:30, after I get to the office, but before breakfast. Only food to that point is a glass of low sodium V-8. Prednisone prescription was finished a couple weeks ago. Will keep testing.

16 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Not good. 216. Not sure why it’s so high. I’m taking it at 8:30, after I get to the office, but before breakfast. Only food to that point is a glass of low sodium V-8. Prednisone prescription was finished a couple weeks ago. Will keep testing.

It stresses me to take my morning reading, knowing it will be high most days.  I feel much better when I take it later at the office and it has lowered quite a bit.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

You may have been just active enough that your system was calling for glucose. Thus it was still high when you took your reading. Consistency of time of readings and then looking at trends is important. I should have left my original message as modified by spell check. Then you would have wondered what the hell is going on in his world!

• Like 1