How Much Off Sticker?

Razors Edge

Mine sat for about 6 months before I bought it.

I got the typical, "Let me show you our invoice, you're paying less for this car than we did..." talk. 

They did tell me they reduced it a certain amount (I forget what) each month after it sits for 3 months because it looks bad for them to have the same inventory.

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I got the typical, "Let me show you our invoice, you're paying less for this car than we did..." talk. 

They did tell me they reduced it a certain amount (I forget what) each month after it sits for 3 months because it looks bad for them to have the same inventory.

And, obviously, you lowballed them some more? 

Ram trucks are sitting for extended periods as well.  Dealers can get really pinched in these times.  The OEM requires dealerships to receive a certain amount of inventory and then it charges them a fee per month after a period of time if the vehicle doesn't move (think of it as reverse lot rent)

24 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

They pay taxes on the inventory.  If it doesn't sell, the cost goes up.  After the lean years with the chip shortages and no cars the dealers are determined to keep prices up.  People with older cars are facing increasing pressure to buy.  Dealers are gambling that it's a sellers market.

Not sure if it's still this way, but they also pay interest on loans to have inventory sit on their lots.  That's some manufacturers.  Others have allocations that are increased or decreased based on how long cars sit unsold, among other incentives.

Unsold inventory is wasted cash for  them

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

Not sure if it's still this way, but they also pay interest on loans to have inventory sit on their lots.  That's some manufacturers.  Others have allocations that are increased or decreased based on how long cars sit unsold, among other incentives.

Unsold inventory is wasted cash for  them

Which gets to my point about how much a vehicle that sits on a lot for more than a year (and some much more) gets marked down?

I'm not shopping for one of those cars, but the Charger and the Hornet and the Challenger almost seem to be in that "may need new tires they sat so long" category!  How or why would a dealer sit on a car for that long and not just move it ASAP to cut their losses rather than add to their losses?

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Which gets to my point about how much a vehicle that sits on a lot for more than a year (and some much more) gets marked down?

I'm not shopping for one of those cars, but the Charger and the Hornet and the Challenger almost seem to be in that "may need new tires they sat so long" category!  How or why would a dealer sit on a car for that long and not just move it ASAP to cut their losses rather than add to their losses?

Because of Gravitropism.  I'm not sure I'm using that word correctly, but it's a cool word

35 minutes ago, 12string said:

Because of Gravitropism.  I'm not sure I'm using that word correctly, but it's a cool word

The Geo Gravitropism would have been sweet!  The Geely Gravitropism is just meh. :dontknow:

I guess the GMC Gravitropism would have to be an SUV?

They produced far too many 22 and 23's when there were no chips to finish them.  There were huge parking lots of built but unsellable cars out there.  IMO the manufacturers are going to short their production of 24's and treat the 23's as new cars for as long as they can stand it.  They've gotten used to a couple of years of over list sales and they are still trying to control the market.

The public raised expectations when they paid far too much for new cars in a feeding frenzy for the few that were available.  New car prices are in the stratosphere.  These cars will sell.