Did I Mention The High Winds And Forest Fires?

Razors Edge

Following @Randomguy's nudge, I got my haircut yesterday afternoon.  On the walk up to the salon, my wife and I noticed a weird smell - almost like a pipe being smoked. Not quite awful like a cigar, but just outside "pleasant".  Anyway, went in to get my hair cut, and when we came out, we looked to the west and it was hazy and we realized it was smoke.  We assumed a very local fire, but hadn't heard any firetrucks.  

Anyways, all sorts of news about wildfires being stirred up by the high winds out west - 50+ miles away!

@Parsnip Totin Jack - what are you seeing?

We have a system that provides alerts of any criminal activity & weather related events within 5 miles of any of our offices.  I noticed several weather & fire warning alerts of high winds & low humidity in the NOVA/DC area.  Low humidity in NOVA, huh who woulda thunk it…

5 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

There are multiple brush faars in the area. Dry and windy conditions are not good. Prince William County put out 51 blazes yesterday. There is an area not far from my house that was burning yesterday. 

Late March and April is one of the higher fire risk areas where we are. New growth hasn’t greened up everything and old growth foliage is very dry. High winds are common, too.

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Following @Randomguy's nudge, I got my haircut yesterday afternoon.  On the walk up to the salon, my wife and I noticed a weird smell - almost like a pipe being smoked. Not quite awful like a cigar, but just outside "pleasant".  Anyway, went in to get my hair cut, and when we came out, we looked to the west and it was hazy and we realized it was smoke.  We assumed a very local fire, but hadn't heard any firetrucks.  

Anyways, all sorts of news about wildfires being stirred up by the high winds out west - 50+ miles away!

For now, it's still snowing lightly. :)  Which is highly desirable for us.  I'm not a Canadian snowbird pining for tropics.  We will get our hot, dry summer later this yr.  In Celsius below.

image.png.07e16bc95f7425aa4e8f407b5a7950f6.png

25 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

@Razors Edge did you notice that the approaches to Dulles (IAD) were altered to accommodate the NW winds? Planes were flying in from the SE, which was unusual to see. 

Normally I look out my office window and am under the flight path.  Paying attention now, I don't see any planes, so they are on a different path than they often use.

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't understand how we could have fire danger warnings after the wet winter we just came through.  Floods and Fire at the same time.  Next we need pestilence I guess.

Aside from my deliberate oppositional weather report for my area, have you had alot of water?  I don't track other regions of North America.

Our area, was repaired for very serious damaging and major river flood.  We did get a river flood scare 2 yrs.

And now, yes we will get drought  -- the opposite for us.  OUr city is growing fast in population past 18 months. 

Terrible reality our prairie air is always quite dry in spring to fall  and our province (unlike CT) is a major agriculture economy along with Saskatchewan and Manitoba ..for whole of Canada. Grain, beans (lentils, pulses....we ship even to India), cattle, pigs, etc.  The major Canadian  exports for agriculture commodities come from our prairie province.

So floods, wildfire ..and drought ..ongoing threats for us.  We can't think of ourselves in Calgary....because whatever B.C. or northern Alberta does/whatever happens these areas...often affects our air quality for days...several wks. It's not simple because there are big tourist/wilderness areas....multiple national parks in B.C. and Alberta.  THese are international tourist destinations in spring-fall, if people aren't snow bunnies.

I also don't trust some folks for arson...causing some of these wildfires. We still have some crazy /uncaring folks.