Stupid is as stupid does: New Samsung Galaxy A54 5G phone WAS up and running

MickinMD

So I went through all the aggravation of transferring apps, messages, contacts, etc. to my new phone from the 6 year-old Galaxy S7 I'm replacing, got it activated, then called my BiL to make sure it worked.

Then I moved my 250 GB SD Card into the new phone and forgot the SIM card is on the same little tray.

It fell out and can't find it, so I called Tracfone and they're sending me a new one for $1.05, a lot less than I feared.

Anyway, my poor work habit of not working at a table means I have no cell phone or texts for 1-3 business days, though I can live with that.

The blood sugar alerts from the Freestyle Libre sensor that stopped working on my 6-year old phone are working now and it's reading the sensor better- I sometimes had to have the old phone read the sensor 4x before it didn't say "reading error."

Also, it comes with 128 GB of built-in memory with 89 GB free after transferring all my apps.  My 250 GB Card has lots of videos, games, books, maps, etc. and 129 GB Free.  That means I could go on a 4 week vacation and have plenty of room to store lots of pictures and 1080p videos without dumping stuff off the 250 GB card - though I'd make sure it's backed up at home in case I need the memory.

The instructions were very poor.  Thank God for YouTube.

They didn't supply a wall charger, only a USB-C to USB-C cable.  My old phone used micro-USB.  Fortunately, my laptop has a USB-C port that charges it or I wouldn't be able to charge it right away.  I ordered what I need from Amazon.  It also reads the two memories as "disks" into File Explorer.  So I can still do my greenhouse, etc. pictures and store them on the laptop.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MickinMD said:

They didn't supply a wall charger, only a USB-C to USB-C cable.

Thankfully, they're no longer giving us more and more of those wall chargers.  My junk drawer can only hold so many :D  It is nice that things are finally coalescing around the simple USB-C standard and moving away from the old (now archaic) original USB and Apple's lightning. 

14 hours ago, MickinMD said:

So I went through all the aggravation of transferring apps, messages, contacts, etc.

I would have thought Samsung (or the cell provider) would have a more seamless migration process - ie log into the new phone, let it do the migration, and shut down the old phone.  No song and dance with a SIM card anymore. :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Thankfully, they're no longer giving us more and more of those wall chargers.  My junk drawer can only hold so many :D  It is nice that things are finally coalescing around the simple USB-C standard and moving away from the old (now archaic) original USB and Apple's lightning. 

I would have thought Samsung (or the cell provider) would have a more seamless migration process - ie log into the new phone, let it do the migration, and shut down the old phone.  No song and dance with a SIM card anymore. :dontknow:

I think you can. It’s the easiest way to tell if a phone at work is on our MDM if I don’t have my laptop with me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Do I just need to be able to install the app?  I can do that if you'd like.

If the phone is supported then the app appears in the Play Store and installation is a breeze.  If the phone is not supported then the app isn't an option. 

I kinda depend on the readings to keep me alive.  Forcing an app to work on unsupported hardware doesn't instill confidence in me.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

If the phone is supported then the app appears in the Play Store and installation is a breeze.  If the phone is not supported then the app isn't an option. 

I kinda depend on the readings to keep me alive.  Forcing an app to work on unsupported hardware doesn't instill confidence in me.

No worries, just giving you options.

image.png

27 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Thank you.   I appreciate the thought.

To ensure it works with the Libra3 the phone needs to be on this list. I see the Flip 3 and 4.  Not the 5.

In general, the list excludes old phones and the newest phones.

Interesting with regards to the Apple platform where it would really seem to be an OS not model "compatibility" thing.  IOW, Apple is on iOS 17.4.1 with 17.3.1 more common right now.  If that OS can run on a phone and the OS is what the app is using, I would gather the iPhone 14 and the current iPhone 15 series would be just as compatible as the 2 yr old iPhone 13 or even older models (but @Ralphie would need a new phone :) ).  I think they're really making a mistake not regularly (at least annually!!!) updating their list (or you linked an old list?) or maybe there is a Libre4 out there they are trying to force you to upgrade to?

Libre3 works on: 

iOS: 15.6, 15.6.1, 15.7, 16, 17

iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, SE (2020), 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max