My PC wouldn't start!

JerrySTL

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Damn! It's an older Windows 10 machine but I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it.

No funny beeps or anything else during startup. I removed all the memory cards then reinserted them. Next, I unplugged and lugged in everything else such as cables. I even dusted out the inside of the case. Fans all worked.

Then I unplugged all the external USB cables. It worked! Next was troubleshooting which was the problem. Looks like my Seagate backup external hard drive has died as when I unplugged it, the computer starts. It was old and nearly full even after cleaning it up. So I just put an 8-terabyte external drive on order. 

If there is anything important on the back up drive such as pictures you need to get back, most good computer shops can possibly transfer that to another drive.

25 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If there is anything important on the back up drive such as pictures you need to get back, most good computer shops can possibly transfer that to another drive.

Fortunately I have stuff backed up to more than one drive. I also have things backed up to One Drive. So I should be good.

23 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

If you remove the drive from the USB case and interface, you may be able to get it to work om the PC's SATA connection.

I hope so. I have one of those external hard drive receptacles that I can plug the drive into.

32 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I hope so. I have one of those external hard drive receptacles that I can plug the drive into.

That is what I always did with drives that wouldn’t run windows any more. The non system files were still readable.

My mother’s similarly old windows 10 machine also wouldn’t start but a computer shop couldn’t revive it, so she got a refurbished one.   

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Fortunately I have stuff backed up to more than one drive. I also have things backed up to One Drive. So I should be good.

Yeah I use an external harddrive, a SD card and Norton backs my data encrypted to their cloud. 

I lost data once years ago.  I decided that can't happen again.  

An this reminds me...  I need to open up the case of WoBG's desktop computer and clean it out. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

For two to three times the cost of a PC, you too can own a Mac that runs off the same Intel chip.

Why would you buy a years old Mac?  A guy like him would want a new computer. If he is going "desktop", though, ain't no 2x or 3x price. You might be thinking laptops, but that's like comparing a BMW to a Kia. 

17 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Damn! It's an older Windows 10 machine but I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it.

No funny beeps or anything else during startup. I removed all the memory cards then reinserted them. Next, I unplugged and lugged in everything else such as cables. I even dusted out the inside of the case. Fans all worked.

Then I unplugged all the external USB cables. It worked! Next was troubleshooting which was the problem. Looks like my Seagate backup external hard drive has died as when I unplugged it, the computer starts. It was old and nearly full even after cleaning it up. So I just put an 8-terabyte external drive on order. 

You might have been able to avoid all that trouble. Autozone sells starting fluid in a spray can. It worked on my snow blower.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

like comparing a BMW to a Kia. 

might have been true 20 years ago, I suspect it's not any longer.

I have nothing against Apple, but I have a couple of PCs.  I'm old and will be dead soon.  No need for me to make a mess of things and get a Mac.  Plus, I like to play with MS Access every now and then, and that's not supported.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

might have been true 20 years ago, I suspect it's not any longer.

I have nothing against Apple, but I have a couple of PCs.  I'm old and will be dead soon.  No need for me to make a mess of things and get a Mac.  Plus, I like to play with MS Access every now and then, and that's not supported.

Parallels, man!!!  

And if you plan to be dead before your PC dies, I am more worried about you than ever!

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, buy a Mac, install Parallels so I can install Windows to run on my Mac?

I'll do that later today, thanks.

Yeah - it's sort of the "baby blanket" approach that Windows users often need to feel safe.  You are likely smart enough (I know Jerry is) to just change from Windows to Apple with nary a hiccup. But since you're an Android guy, probably would want to stay firmly in Google's shadow. 

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My favorite computer program of all time. Access 1.0 changed my life. I went from aircraft mechanic database administrator because of it.

We had an IT guy that just refused to let people have access to Access. He was nearly lynched!  

• Sad 1