Steve Martin contemplation

shootingstar

What do you think for yourself so far ?  --from comedian @78, looking back on life.

The irony of Steve Martin's life isn't lost on him (msn.com)

Martin likes to say he has a “relaxed mind” now. He's peeled away a lot — competitiveness, people or situations who brought him grief — and has narrowed his life down to things that matter most to him.

“I have this thing that I’ve noticed," Martin says. "As we age, we either become our best selves or our worst selves. I’ve seen people become their worst selves and I’ve seen people who were tough, difficult people early on become better selves.”

• Heart 2

Mrs. Silly and I saw Steve Martin perform with his blue grass band, The Steep Canyon Rangers.  The encore was a blue grass version of King Tut, the rest of the show was a solid blue grass show.  I'd recommend going to a show if you have an opportunity.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Mrs. Silly and I saw Steve Martin perform with his blue grass band, The Steep Canyon Rangers.  The encore was a blue grass version of King Tut, the rest of the show was a solid blue grass show.  I'd recommend going to a show if you have an opportunity.

I'm sure that was somethin' to see.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Dude can PLAY.  Up there with Roy Clarke and Bela Fleck, at least.

• Heart 2

He's also been a generous supporter of the arts in Los Angeles, not only sharing his art collection but with significant donations to a number of art museums.

1986-  I was in a hangar in Vancouver doing a walk around inspection on a nice summer day.  I was doing a charter to Castlegar to drop Steve Martin off.  I was approached by a moderately cute girl with beautiful blonde hair.  She was just exchanging the niceties of the day.  I asked her if I could help her and she said no, I am just waiting for a flight so I thought I would look around.  

Then a limo showed up and it was our passengers, including Steve Martin.  Everyone was very friendly, except him.  He just kept a construction type headset on and nodded and grinned but didn't shake hands or speak.  I flew the same group 8 times that summer as they were filming Roxanne in Trail, BC.  He was pretty much the same on every flight. 

The cute blonde was Daryl Hannah and she too was in the group but showed up on her own. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 2

My sister and I grew up in very poor households where we were ashamed at our poverty compared to our friends and we found the best way to prove ourselves and gain respect was to get good educations, jobs that generated respect, and work hard to earn that respect.

Later in our working career and in retirement, we had reached the point where we were fine with our accomplishments - which surpassed almost all our childhood friends - and we reached the point where we didn't worry about respect anymore.

I can see that now, where I know people who won't be caught dead in discount stores and call store brands "welfare food" and "welfare clothes."

If people we know sees me or my sister coming out of Aldi, etc., the only thing we expect them to say to each other is, "See? That's why he/she has more than a couple pennies to rub together!"

So I'm much more content niw with my status and what I've accomplished than I was earlier in life.