NFL kick-offs

dinneR

What do you think of the new rules?

Under the new rules, the kicking team's kicker will continue to kick from the 35-yard line. But rather than be flanked by his teammates, the rest of the kicking team will line up at their opponent's 40-yard line, eliminating the traditional running head start. The returning team will field up to two returners in the backfield, and the rest of the team will line up in a new "set up zone" between the 30- and 35-yard line.

Besides the kicker and returners, no players from either side will be allowed to move until a returner touches the ball or the ball hits the ground. Fair catches, in which a returner could signal that they would catch the ball but not attempt a return, will no longer be allowed.

I watched some USFL last year and this is where they got the idea from.  It looks different for sure.  I pretty much guarantees a return every kickoff without the same deadly results.  I didn't not enjoy it.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, dinneR said:

What do you think of the new rules?

Under the new rules, the kicking team's kicker will continue to kick from the 35-yard line. But rather than be flanked by his teammates, the rest of the kicking team will line up at their opponent's 40-yard line, eliminating the traditional running head start. The returning team will field up to two returners in the backfield, and the rest of the team will line up in a new "set up zone" between the 30- and 35-yard line.

Besides the kicker and returners, no players from either side will be allowed to move until a returner touches the ball or the ball hits the ground. Fair catches, in which a returner could signal that they would catch the ball but not attempt a return, will no longer be allowed.

There are so many rules - you can find more details on NFL.com - wrapped up in this one rule I don't like it at all

It's so confusing it's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

The previous previous way was perfectly fine and didn't need to change.  They did and the results sucked, so the new rule is now in place.  I don't think I will ponder it too much until I see it, but literally anything is better than it was the last few years, stupid NFL.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The previous previous way was perfectly fine and didn't need to change.  They did and the results sucked, so the new rule is now in place.  I don't think I will ponder it too much until I see it, but literally anything is better than it was the last few years, stupid NFL.

I would prefer kicking off from the goal line.  It would tilt field position towards more "offense" and also stop touchbacks. Touchbacks suck.

I would also prefer a random approach - where a coin is flip, a die rolled, a ref bribed - where it decides the type of kick-off that series.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I would prefer kicking off from the goal line.  It would tilt field position towards more "offense" and also stop touchbacks. Touchbacks suck.

I would also prefer a random approach - where a coin is flip, a die rolled, a ref bribed - where it decides the type of kick-off that series.

I would prefer if they would randomly kick a wasp's nest painted to look like a football, and sometimes it would explode when kicked and sometimes it would explode when caught.  This way, you would never know who was likely to almost get killed come kickoff time.

• Like 1

I like it.  It's simple to implement and referee.  It will probably result in a lot of starts from the 30-35 yard lines.  Slightly closer to the end zone, but offense is good.  There will be almost no starts from the 5 yard line.  Most teams will just line drive out of the endzone, hang time is moot.  And the onsides kick is dead.

Best part, kick returners will live into their 30s, 

The tougher rule changes is outlawing hip drop tackles.  They cause serious injuries at 25x the rate of any other tackle.  This will be hard to officiate