I am worried

Dirtyhip

My neighbor has a dog.  They totally ignore this poor thing. It has been so cold here.  It has occurred to me that they may have left town for the holidays and left him chained in the back yard.  He is a mean dog.  i can't really approach him.  

The poor thing has been howling and his barks seem a little more frantic than usual. I am not sure if someone has been coming to care for him or not.  Regardless, they are heartless dicks to leave a dog in the backyard in single digit temps. 

I want to make some hamburger and rice for him, but i am so afraid he is going to bite me if I try and get close enough to give him a bowl of food.. Animal control is already closed for the day. 

FUUUUUCK!

Call animal control tomorrow.  Tell them what you believe, and let them handle it.  Report it as a concerned neighbor, without providing too much personal information to avoid issues with the neighbor.

Animal cruelty is a serious thing, even for a mean animal (probably created due to treatment or lack thereof).

In the meantime, unless you have some extension tongs of some sort, I'm not sure what you can do unless you have meat you can throw over.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Heart 2

Well,it appears that there is a sack of dog food on the BBQ.  we saw tire tracks like someone was here and they put their garbage out. Still, he is miserable out there.  Also, he needs excess food and fat due to the harsh weather right now.  There is a dogloo with a door.  Regardless, no domestic pet like that should live out in these kind of elements.  

There is a dog water bowl that is heated too.  I am not sure of the length that the chain goes,and I have enough injuries on my body right now to risk getting bit by him.  We decided to stay out of their backyard.  It's just such a sad situation.  I am calling Dog control tomorrow.  

He has quieted down. I think he wore himself out and laid down.  

So sad.  So terribly sad.

This is like the 3rd dog these people have gone through.  They had a wolf hybrid.  he went away.  Then, they had another mix breed, also disappeared. Now, this one. 

In my city, it is against the law to chain an animal outside for longer than three hours at a time.  It is considered inhumane treatment.  Personally, I think three hours is excessive.

You should check to see if your city has an ordinance concerning chaining or "tethering" as it is called here.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well,it appears that there is a sack of dog food on the BBQ.  we saw tire tracks like someone was here and they put their garbage out. Still, he is miserable out there.  Also, he needs excess food and fat due to the harsh weather right now.  There is a dogloo with a door.  Regardless, no domestic pet like that should live out in these kind of elements.  

There is a dog water bowl that is heated too.  I am not sure of the length that the chain goes,and I have enough injuries on my body right now to risk getting bit by him.  We decided to stay out of their backyard.  It's just such a sad situation.  I am calling Dog control tomorrow.  

He has quieted down. I think he wore himself out and laid down.  

So sad.  So terribly sad.

This is like the 3rd dog these people have gone through.  They had a wolf hybrid.  he went away.  Then, they had another mix breed, also disappeared. Now, this one. 

I may know that guy!

Last time I was in KF to train some pilots, one of them picked me up at the Shilo enroute to the airport.  It had been a couple of weeks since I had last spoken to him.  I asked if he had been out hunting and he said "Nope. Dog died".

Me:  Oh, I am sorry to hear that. What happened?

Him: Hit by a truck.

Me: Oh that is terrible. Did the driver stop?

Him:  Yeah, it was me.

Me: Oh, that is tragic.  How did that happen?

Him: Well, Ol Buck was layin on the drive like he always does and then moves out of the way when he sees me. This time, he didn't move fast enough. 

:blink:

Our former neighbors but their dog on a run line and a leader.  The dog got the leader tangled around his neck, and the more he struggled the more tangled he became - eventually to the point where he couldn't put his front feet back on the ground.  Our other neighbors call the police, but the dog wouldn't let them near until it passed out for lack of oxygen.  By the time the police untangled the dog, it was dead.

No charges filed against the owners.

A few days later they had another dog.