If We Kill Enough Of Them, We Will Save Them!

Razors Edge

Yay!

Anyone ever had elephant steaks? Probably closer to whale meat than to beef or chicken?

-----------------------------

The Trump administration is reversing an Obama administration ban on bringing to the United States the heads of elephants killed in two African countries.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) said it has determined that hunting African elephants in Zimbabwe and Zambia “will enhance the survival of the species in the wild,” which is the standard by which officials judge whether to allow imports of parts — known as trophies — of the animals.

-----------------------------

If killing endangered species is a political topic, please move this to the P&R (and explain why 'Mericans are so moranic).

Tom

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yay!

Anyone ever had elephant steaks? Probably closer to whale meat than to beef or chicken?

Tom

Hi Tom,

On my worldwide journeys, I did indeed have whale steaks.  Not much different than beef or bison. Yumm. Oslo Norway 2012

Haven't had elephant, but I will edit and update this post if I ever have occasion to try it.

56 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Hi Tom,

On my worldwide journeys, I did indeed have whale steaks.  Not much different than beef or bison. Yumm. Oslo Norway 2012

Haven't had elephant, but I will edit and update this post if I ever have occasion to try it.

Great. A class act! :cheerleader:

Tom

• Heart 1

There are aspects to hunting that can help to preserve the species.

In the example of migratory birds, part of your tag goes toward refuge land, species preservation, 

I know nothing about elephant populations though. Birds seem to be very prolific in comparison to elephants and tigers.  

Breed a certain amount of them to be shot for a lofty price tag? Use ten monies to buy more preserve land, and to study and breed more inventory.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Oh fuck me! Have we come to that as humans???

Tom

Sadly, yes.

Think about this for a moment.  The zones for these animals are getting reduced every year.  If there are no monies to have a preserve, they will be dead as population grows.  Human population continues to sprawl into zones that were once used for wildlife.  Some populations have started to re-populate, after human intervention.  

The question is, should we interfere with natural selection (considering if hunting certain species was eliminated, like maybe elephants/lions/tigers and bears . Oh, my.).

• Heart 2

Regardless of the sportsmanship of the hunt, it is about sacrifice the few to to save the many.

Some rich guy will drop big bucks to shoot a trophy to hang on his wall. The money goes to preserving habitat, or feeding the locals, or whatever the local authorities deem most pressing.    

The argument I heard (from someone who was, admittedly a DJT fan so take it with a shaker of salt, but at least one who didn't one-liner things) was that it was an old bull elephant who was highly territorial and preventing younger males from mating with females (preventing healthy population growth).

That said...

Weakening the law is complete BS, broadening the market for poaching.  No matter whether the top item is true (I have no idea), the change of law sucks and serves either rich people who want to "hunt big game" or people who want animal parts for folk medicine of no value, or things like ivory.  And personally, I have little or no truck with hunting big game. Unlike culling a deer herd and eating the deer, these are rare species.  Further, if the above story was true, then why not move the aforementioned elephant to another region rather than kill it?

• Heart 2