No NHL Players Allowed?

Ltdskilz

7 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

Okay, I don't speak Inside Hockey. So what do you NHL gurus think about the NHL keeping its players out of the Olympics this year, and probably also in 2022?

If it means the US wins(!), then it is brilliant. If we lose, then it is BS. Unless, Canada and Russia also lose, then it is brilliant!

Tom

• Haha 1

It sucks.  The Olympics should be the best on best championship.  The large majority of top hockey players from every country with hockey play in the NHL.  This olympic hockey (Mens) is now merely a tourney of players who are not good enough to be in the NHL.  

It would be like a World Series played with class A ball players.  It does set up for another "Miracle on Ice" scenario, but that is once in a life time, and I am still alive.  Hockey is weird as being such an international sport there is no best on best contest for countries except for the Olympics.  

Why should the NHL care about the Olympics?  Why should they willingly sacrifice the talent (and the top talent at that) they have under paid contract to an event not of their making?  It's the Olympics - it survived for decades without NHL players.

And we're talking about hockey!  Hockey?  If the IOC wants the NHL talent move hockey to the summer games.  

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It sucks.  The Olympics should be the best on best championship.  The large majority of top hockey players from every country with hockey play in the NHL.  This olympic hockey (Mens) is now merely a tourney of players who are not good enough to be in the NHL.  

It would be like a World Series played with class A ball players.  It does set up for another "Miracle on Ice" scenario, but that is once in a life time, and I am still alive.  Hockey is weird as being such an international sport there is no best on best contest for countries except for the Olympics.  

I remember when the Olympics was for "amateur" athletes. :( 

Tom

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

The very best of the not ready for prime time players. :) 

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Why should the NHL care about the Olympics?  Why should they willingly sacrifice the talent (and the top talent at that) they have under paid contract to an event not of their making?  It's the Olympics - it survived for decades without NHL players.

And we're talking about hockey!  Hockey?  If the IOC wants the NHL talent move hockey to the summer games.  

Hockey already is in the summer Games.

OK, tie it all together:  The rink where I used to coach roller hockey, the guy running the league was trying to convince the boys to let girls on their team.  They didn't want it.  Tara Lipinski was doing roller figure skating, he put her on one of the teams and she made all the boys look silly trying to keep up.  Change in the status quo.  So while coaching my son's team, there were a couple girls on the team.  Really skilled, tough players.  One of them is now on the US Olympic field hockey team.  She came back one night to play open hockey, was on the other team.  After about the 3rd time I stole a puck from her, next time she didn't even try to deke, just shoulder first sent me flying, laughing pretty hard when she helped me back up.

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I remember when the Olympics was for "amateur" athletes. :( 

Tom

There are no amateur athletes at that level any more.  No matter what sport.  the coaching, rehab, pshrinks, equipment and training is all paid for by someone

22 minutes ago, 12string said:

That's what the Stanley cup is.  The NHL is truly the best players from all over the world already.

It was the players association that said no olympics.

That is why I said country on country.  But I agree with you, they should be there.  Blame John Tavares.  As arguably his teams best player, he suffered a season ending injury during the last olympics, causing his team, teammates and owners a potential loss of financial windfall.