What is the spice mixture that Top Ramen uses?

Randomguy

No idea what they use.

But I can tell you how to make an easy noodle bowl.

Boil water, throw noodles, soba is great.

You start by mixing a good miso in a cup, adding a little hot water at a time so it doesn't clump. I'd suggest having Korean, red and white for variety.

Drain the noodle water reserving enough for the soup.

Add the miso, some Japanese rice seasoning, a little tofu (I like Trader Joes organic). If you can find a seaweed shaker, that's nice, you can also cook some with the noodles.

Put it in a bowl, throw a small amount of baby onion shoots, and call it lunch.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have yet to hear a rational explanation of what is wrong with the stuff.  I also haven't looked to hard for it, either, though.

It excites your nerve cells.  It's an excitotoxin.  Some people experience headaches and even asthma attacks, after eating it.  Personally, I am not a fan of lab created things, that are put in my food. This is the same reason that I hate pesticides. 

For Ramen get a veggie bouillon cube or powder...add cooked and drained, handmade soba /buckwheat noodles. 

Or for soup, make a chicken or pork bone consommé from scratch.  For veggie healthiness, slide in chopped boy choy or shanghai choy into boiling consommé. Put in rehydrated seaweed (your choice. An Asian supermarket has lots of choice.) about 1 large tablespoon. With noodles (ok you want egg based ramen light, thin noodle) it should be great to have a big bowl.

If want to be real creative, 2-3 thin slices of lotus root or fresh water chestnuts.  Cook these in soup for up to 8-10 min., until slightly soft.

You could mix it up by adding chopped fresh cilantro when serving...which makes it a lot less Japanese but more pan-Asian.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, shootingstar said:

For Ramen get a veggie bouillon cube or powder...add cooked and drained, handmade soba /buckwheat noodles. 

Or for soup, make a chicken or pork bone consommé from scratch.  For veggie healthiness, slide in chopped boy choy or shanghai choy into boiling consommé. Put in rehydrated seaweed (your choice. An Asian supermarket has lots of choice.) about 1 large tablespoon. With noodles (ok you want egg based ramen light, thin noodle) it should be great to have a big bowl.

If want to be real creative, 2-3 thin slices of lotus root or fresh water chestnuts.  Cook these in soup for up to 8-10 min., until slightly soft.

You could mix it up by adding chopped fresh cilantro when serving...which makes it a lot less Japanese but more pan-Asian.

You misunderstand shootingstar.  This Random guy.  He wants spaghetti in salty chemical water not an authentic Asian meal. :)

• Heart 1

It would be cool to delve further into making ramen.  I saw an episode of a cooking show about this ramen guy.  I am inspired.  I am a little nervous about making the noodles.  Although, I am usually good with all things flour related, so maybe it will be a piece of cake.  

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

It would be cool to delve further into making ramen.  I saw an episode of a cooking show about this ramen guy.  I am inspired.  I am a little nervous about making the noodles.  Although, I am usually good with all things flour related, so maybe it will be a piece of cake.  

...they sell a reasonably healthful alternative ramen noodle (the thin ones) in bulk at Costco now (no salt/msg flavoring packets are provided.)

I read the ingredients, and it seems pretty straightforward in terms of what they put in them.  I would be perplexed by the problem of cutting them very thin.

There are other Asian noodles that are thicker...stuff like the buckwheat soba noodles and whatever it is they use in a bowl of shoyu...

The joke outside the Ramen house I sometimes eat at here is a sign that says, "Let Us Shoyu Ramen."