Any ham radio users on here?

KrAzY

I'm sure a couple of ya are, and looking for some advice.

I sold my Bearcat 880 CB to a fellow jeeper, and I wanted to get a mobile ham raidio for a vehicle. I like the idea of greater distance and clearer channels. 

Any suggestions on a setup that's not gonna set me back a years salary. 

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

There are a bunch of radio operators involved in scouting. They have a radio shack it camp wisdom.  Look up Jamboree on the air.

I'm not sure if I want to look that station up.. kind if scared to hear tourchered children over the airwaves screaming about how you are forcing then to cook potatoes and make coffee.

• Heart 1

You called?

Solar powered bike mobile.  2012 worked all over the world from this setup.

551836_3971536537026_1532259948_n.thumb.jpg.18e1553a785cc0481c15e8a2c1a9579b.jpg

40th wedding anniversary trip to Door county WI 2012  This one was taken near Ludington MI after crossing on the Badger. Only VHF, UHF and APRS for local communication this time.

419993_4401209918592_302434135_n.jpg.b00d00a3bfb956fb4b7892c97311981e.jpg

UFH rover contest station.  Second place station in the UHF sprint 4 hour contest.  This is a much more expensive setup.  About $4000 of equipment in these pictures.  Lost it in the fire when the truck burned.

207357_1928795309772_8073200_n.jpg.951d2251c347f0c0775b540d3bd0a988.jpg

207357_1928795389774_2170130_n.jpg

5 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You called?

Solar powered bike mobile.  2012 worked all over the world from this setup.

551836_3971536537026_1532259948_n.thumb.jpg.18e1553a785cc0481c15e8a2c1a9579b.jpg

40th wedding anniversary trip to Door county WI 2012  This one was taken near Ludington MI after crossing on the Badger. Only VHF, UHF and APRS for local communication this time.

419993_4401209918592_302434135_n.jpg.b00d00a3bfb956fb4b7892c97311981e.jpg

UFH rover contest station.  Second place station in the UHF sprint 4 hour contest.  This is a much more expensive setup.  About $4000 of equipment in these pictures.  Lost it in the fire when the truck burned.

207357_1928795309772_8073200_n.jpg.951d2251c347f0c0775b540d3bd0a988.jpg

207357_1928795389774_2170130_n.jpg

What caused the truck to burn, electrical short or lightning strike?  Joking of course.  I'm still amazed that my car can become my phone.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

A good handheld is always good place to start.  Simple and effective, not that there is much simple about HAM radios anymore.

I forgot to mention that Indy is a ham too. A handheld can reach most local repeaters. Use a mag mount external antenna and you will get more range. A very versatile tool to start out.

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

I forgot to mention that Indy is a ham too. A handheld can reach most local repeaters. Use a mag mount external antenna and you will get more range. A very versatile tool to start out.

I'd say that is where a vast majority of HAM's start.  Then as you figure out what you want to do and are into, you can expand from there.  You can also do amplifiers on handhelds to get power and range of any fixed mobile unit, the main advantage the mobile has to me is they are a little friendlier to use in a vehicle since it's a little bigger.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I'd say that is where a vast majority of HAM's start.  Then as you figure out what you want to do and are into, you can expand from there.  You can also do amplifiers on handhelds to get power and range of any fixed mobile unit, the main advantage the mobile has to me is they are a little friendlier to use in a vehicle since it's a little bigger. 

If you want to stay cheap, effective and have good coverage a 2 meter mobile and 2 meter handheld would make a great start and you could purchase both for not much over $200. Better say $300 till you have the mobile antenna and miscellaneous small stuff to install it.   Cheaper if you went to some of the very low end Chinese radios.  With that pair you would be set up excellent to begin with mobile and hiking.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You will need to get at least a Technician license but most can do that with several hours of study.  The General or Extra class take more work but give many more privileges. 

So did they do away with the Novice license?

I can never keep up anymore.

It's not to hard to pass the test and get a license, especially since there is no longer a morse code requirement.  Though my coworker says there has been an increase in activity in that area, so he's now working on learning it with about as much luck as I had with it.

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

So did they do away with the Novice license?

I can never keep up anymore.

It's not to hard to pass the test and get a license, especially since there is no longer a morse code requirement.  Though my coworker says there has been an increase in activity in that area, so he's now working on learning it with about as much luck as I had with it.

Novice, tech plus and advanced are all gone.  Still some grandfathered in with those but since there have been new ones since 2000 there are fewer all the time.

28 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

If you want to stay cheap, effective and have good coverage a 2 meter mobile and 2 meter handheld would make a great start and you could purchase both for not much over $200. Better say $300 till you have the mobile antenna and miscellaneous small stuff to install it.   Cheaper if you went to some of the very low end Chinese radios.  With that pair you would be set up excellent to begin with mobile and hiking.

I was looking at this last night.. majority good reviews and not that expensive. For a starter kit it should not be bad.

I'm basically looking for something to use while traveling or out playing on the trails.

Radioddity QB25 Pro Quad Band Quad-Standby Mini Mobile Car Truck...

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

hope he has one, because they're not available anymore

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

Just because they are not commercially available doesn't mean you can never get one.  A real ham can manufacture one out of the parts in his junk box.  Obviously the construction is a closely guarded secret and not shared with just any random engineer.

• Heart 1