Today I bring you

KrAzY

4 hours ago, wilbur said:

I wish jsharr would show you how to display the catch..

arm straight out in front of you with fish 12 inches from camera.  

I'm not a cheater. 

9 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

You do mean you released and sent her home with the rest of the worms to feed her family, yes?   

Actually the spotted bass was just about full size.. she did go home.. to our house and it road in our cooler

• Heart 2

I wondered where spotted bass came from.  Is it a new species for Texas. I was use to large mouth, striped, and white when I was fishing the area.  Here we have small mouth, and a few waters with large mouth bass.  I still prefer to eat crappie and catfish from cool waters. Catfish caught in the spring from the Yellowstone River are very good, particularly ones about 18" long.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I wondered where spotted bass came from.  Is it a new species for Texas. I was use to large mouth, striped, and white when I was fishing the area.  Here we have small mouth, and a few waters with large mouth bass.  I still prefer to eat crappie and catfish from cool waters. Catfish caught in the spring from the Yellowstone River are very good, particularly ones about 18" long.

No, spots have been around for years and many probably just think they are black bass, as the differences are subtle.

The only true Texas bass I know of is the Guadalupe bass, that is only found in Texas.

18 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Never been a fan of warm water fresh water fish either.  I’m pretty much catch & release not as a matter of principle but I like to fish for fishing’s sake.  Not so much to eat the fish.

Salt water is different tho.  During the Sand Bass spawn we’d limit out and filet them up.  Tasty!  I also keep mackerel where most wont as they are tasty brined & smoked.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Never been a fan of warm water fresh water fish either.  I’m pretty much catch & release not as a matter of principle but I like to fish for fishing’s sake.  Not so much to eat the fish.

Salt water is different tho.  During the Sand Bass spawn we’d limit out and filet them up.  Tasty!  I also keep mackerel where most wont as they are tasty brined & smoked.

I grew up eating fish we caught in Trinity and Galveston Bays, mainly croaker and different varieties of weakfish or trout. I much prefer warm water fish to trout, etc. Thus, it is nice that the Yellowstone River in our area is a warm-water fishery.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

I approve of this thread and the correct ID of the bass as spotted and not black.

Why would it be a black bass? The markings are different and so is the top fins.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I grew up eating fish we caught in Trinity and Galveston Bays, mainly croaker and different varieties of weakfish or trout. I much prefer warm water fish to trout, etc. Thus, it is nice that the Yellowstone River in our area is a warm-water fishery.

I love a good walleye. I fished a lot for those when we lived in Ohio and I was growing up.. I remember spending hours on the boat catching and cleaning them, but I never remember eating fish at my parents house.... Kind of puzzling the more I think about it.

• Haha 1