Fuel line replacement

Longjohn

The only problem I have had with my 1980 Husqvarna chain saw is the fuel line needs replaced every 18 years or so. I replaced it 18 years ago, can’t remember too much about it but that it was tricky. The dealership I bought the last fuel line from went out of business when the owner died. The same thing happened to the saw shop I bought it from almost forty years ago. It seems these saws last longer than the people who sell them. I was surprised the new dealership had two fuel lines in stock. I figured I’d be SOL. 

The new line has to have the filter attached first and then thread the line in through the gas filler opening to the far side of the tank and up through a small hole in the top of the tank. I couldn’t remember how I did it 18 years ago so I had to invent a tool. I took a piece of piano wire and bent it so I could try to hit that little hole. Once I got the wire through I bent the other end of the wire almost flat and inserted it into the end of the fuel line and pulled it up through.

I removed my wire and pulled on the new line until it snapped into place. Attached the air filter and cover and added fuel and was ready to go. I love that saw. I finished cutting up the Apple tree that blew down this spring.

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

The only problem I have had with my 1980 Husqvarna chain saw is the fuel line needs replaced every 18 years or so. I replaced it 18 years ago, can’t remember too much about it but that it was tricky. The dealership I bought the last fuel line from went out of business when the owner died. The same thing happened to the saw shop I bought it from almost forty years ago. It seems these saws last longer than the people who sell them. I was surprised the new dealership had two fuel lines in stock. I figured I’d be SOL. 

The new line has to have the filter attached first and then thread the line in through the gas filler opening to the far side of the tank and up through a small hole in the top of the tank. I couldn’t remember how I did it 18 years ago so I had to invent a tool. I took a piece of piano wire and bent it so I could try to hit that little hole. Once I got the wire through I bent the other end of the wire almost flat and inserted it into the end of the fuel line and pulled it up through.

I removed my wire and pulled on the new line until it snapped into place. Attached the air filter and cover and added fuel and was ready to go. I love that saw. I finished cutting up the Apple tree that blew down this spring.

I have to replace the fuel line on a weedwacker that a mouse eat.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Pfffft.  He never uses it.  Some chick delivers his fire wood.

That saw has seen a lot of use over the 39 years I have been using it, including working for a logging company for awhile. All the other places I have lived I cut my own firewood. When I moved here I have sawmills all around me. At least six mills within three miles of my house. Natalie gives me such a good deal I can’t afford to cut my own. Last summer I had to cut up a bunch of ash trees that the emerald ash borers killed in at my MIL’s. I gave most of that wood away or burned it on the stumps to get rid of it. It wasn’t worth making the 40 mile round trip to take it home.

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't think it's a good business model to sell equipment that lasts for nearly 40 years and only needs a couple of parts during that time.  I'm unsurprised that the stores keep going out of business.

It’s hard to stay in business after you are dead.

59 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Nicko has been having a hard time with his Husqvarna..and a giant tree on his new homestead.