Whoops....

ChrisL

Well as parts of SoCal Burns yet again word is getting out that when the power companies shuts down power to thousands of residents in fire prone areas, said residents don’t know that they need to evacuate!

Seems PD doing final evac sweeps this morning for the Tick Fire found entire neighborhoods blacked out &  still occupied.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Dottie said:

It's a learning process. Somebody needs to sit in the tower and ring the bell.

No you just cut power and let people figure this shit out... The power companies handling of this matter still chaps my ass.

A resident who was interviewed said PD was doing a slow patrol through the area so she stepped out and and asked for a status on the fire.   The officers told her what are you doing here, a mandatory evacuation order went out over an hour ago!  Well how are we supposed to know, we’ve been blacked out all night!?!!  She said to her knowledge nobody on her block evacuated.

They made the announcement over the bull horn & went door to door and found many of the houses occupied.

• Haha 1

Sounds like pour planning by Emergency Management Agency.  All of their alerting capabilities should be on battery backup systems because when disasters happen, there is always a high probability of losing power. 

Though I seriously doubt they never had a fire, mud slide what ever take out power to area before.  This actually sounds like more of a smear campaign against the electric company which was only doing what they needed to because of California laws.  Of course that isn't anything new, freaking idiotic law makers pass laws all the time with little to no knowledge of the ramifications a law may have.

And also remember, utility companies don't have full control over their rates, they have to ask government to approve rate changes.  So how much money they make is controlled by the government, but then the government, while trying to keeps rates low offers them no protection or assistance with regard to liability.  So they are 100% liable but aren't allowed to charge enough to upgrade noncritical systems because they are spending so much upgrading critical systems (actual power gen systems) to meet constantly tightening environmental requirements.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Sounds like pour planning by Emergency Management Agency.  All of their alerting capabilities should be on battery backup systems because when disasters happen, there is always a high probability of losing power. 

I don’t see it as an EMS  issue.  They have contingencies in place to deal with loss of power.  The media is broadcasting evacuation orders around the clock but the people who need to see & hear it are literally in the dark as their power was cut hours earlier.

It seems this really came in late from the utilities and it caught a lot of people by surprise.  As Fire season approached they announced the black outs as a preventive measure.  I understand why they are doing it but it didn’t appear to be communicated effectively.

Just now, ChrisL said:

I don’t see it as an EMS  issue.  They have contingencies in place to deal with loss of power.  The media is broadcasting evacuation orders around the clock but the people who need to see & hear it are literally in the dark as their power was cut hours earlier.

It seems this really came in late from the utilities and it caught a lot of people by surprise.  As Fire season approached they announced the black outs as a preventive measure.  I understand why they are doing it but it didn’t appear to be communicated effectively.

I know it was going to happen and I don't live in California.  I knew it was going to happen and I don't live in the windswept tinderbox that the electric company is trying not to burn down.  Don't at least some of the people (like LOCAL officials) have access to battery powered radios? 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I know it was going to happen and I don't live in California.  I knew it was going to happen and I don't live in the windswept tinderbox that the electric company is trying not to burn down.  Don't at least some of the people (like LOCAL officials) have access to battery powered radios? 

Yeah, leaving in an area at risk for tornadoes, the idea that people don't have battery powered radios seems insane to me.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have a battery powered emergency radio.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Yeah, leaving in an area at risk for tornadoes, the idea that people don't have battery powered radios seems insane to me.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have a battery powered emergency radio.

I don't but then I've never been hit with a tornado.  They are afraid of me.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I don't but then I've never been hit with a tornado.  They are afraid of me.

I used to be very active as a ham radio spotter, I've seen and called in three.  So I've got a radio in our bedroom, one on the main floor, one in the detached garage.  A power loss is not going to be an excuse for me being caught by surprise.

And also, if you have a cell phone, as long as you have service you will get the alerts now.  Cell towers usually have battery backups, not sure how long they are setup to keep the tower up though.

Just now, Indy said:

I used to be very active as a ham radio spotter, I've seen and called in three.  So I've got a radio in our bedroom, one on the main floor, one in the detached garage.  A power loss is not going to be an excuse for me being caught by surprise.

You keep those things turned on, or turn them on when you lose power?

My mom had a weather alert radio that would start yammering if there was a bad storm coming. Probably used a battery backup.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You keep those things turned on, or turn them on when you lose power?

My mom had a weather alert radio that would start yammering if there was a bad storm coming. Probably used a battery backup.

All of mine are newer where you enter the county code, so only go off if it's your county.  Then on top of that it has select able alert levels, so you can turn off everything except warnings, so basically if the one in the bedroom goes off, it's an o-shit, find cover.  The others are set to allow some watches.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

We live in earthquake country so I hear you but truth be told my radio batteries are probably dead...

IMHO It really goes back to the short notice and poor communication of the black outs.  People will adapt now that they know it’s an issue.  Those who live in the Foothill areas really should know the risks..

• Heart 1