Rolling coal

Parsnip Totin Jack

5 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Or you can use your       "best vintage superbike"  and race to VA .

There is not that much traffic anymore.  You should do just fine. 

If anyone wants me to stop and you up on the way we will take the sidecar. The only requirement is you have to hangout on lefthand turns. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

looks great.  I have loved the Weber charcoal grill for over 30 years.  I have started some consulting since I retired, which has brought in some extra $$$.  I am considering the Green Egg.

My Weber kettle has some rust spots that may rust through in the next few years but it’s pushing 30 years too!  I got it when I shared a condo with my sister in 1992/3.  

• Heart 1

I have a smallish brisket that I am thawing as we speak! I have never cooked a small one like this.  In the past it was always brine for 12-24 hours, smoke at 225 for 12 hours and then let rest in foil for 4 hours.  Do you shoot for an internal temp?  

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

looks great.  I have loved the Weber charcoal grill for over 30 years.  I have started some consulting since I retired, which has brought in some extra $$$.  I am considering the Green Egg.

I would love to get a big green egg, but we are currently renting. I plan to retire in four years and move to a forever home in the Shenandoah Valley or Blue Ridge Mountains further south. I’ll wait until then to get my egg. The Weber works well for everyone here.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have a smallish brisket that I am thawing as we speak! I have never cooked a small one like this.  In the past it was always brine for 12-24 hours, smoke at 225 for 12 hours and then let rest in foil for 4 hours.  Do you shoot for an internal temp?  

In the past I used an internal temp but I’ve done it so often I know when it’s done. I soaked the corned beef in water to extract some of the salt. I read that not doing that made the brisket too salty. If I was using a straight brisket I would brine or dry rub kosher salt overnight. I kept the vents almost closed to keep the heat low but found that I had to open them a little as the temp outside was in the 30’s; I needed a little hotter fire. Three hours was about done but I wanted to break down to collagen a little more so I wrapped them in foil and left them on the grill for another hour. Total time four hours. Weight was around 3-3.5 lbs each. Price was around $8 each. They were small but the meat came out perfectly. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

My friend (and neighbor) has cooked briskets for several years.  He is pretty good at it, and has said it is an art.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

In the past I used an internal temp but I’ve done it so often I know when it’s done. I soaked the corned beef in water to extract some of the salt. I read that not doing that made the brisket too salty. If I was using a straight brisket I would brine or dry rub kosher salt overnight. I kept the vents almost closed to keep the heat low but found that I had to open them a little as the temp outside was in the 30’s; I needed a little hotter fire. Three hours was about done but I wanted to break down to collagen a little more so I wrapped them in foil and left them on the grill for another hour. Total time four hours. Weight was around 3-3.5 lbs each. Price was around $8 each. They were small but the meat came out perfectly. 

I will prob do something similar.  I am using a small electric smoker.  Sure, they take some of the fun out of it but they are very easy to control and it's what I got.  I am not sure of the weight, I will weigh it before.  But I will brine it over night and prob end up smoking for about 5-6 hours at 200-225.  Then maybe foil it and place it in a cooler for 4-5 hours.  

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I would love to get a big green egg, but we are currently renting. I plan to retire in four years and move to a forever home in the Shenandoah Valley or Blue Ridge Mountains further south. I’ll wait until then to get my egg. The Weber works well for everyone here.

My buddy that camps with us a lot has a collection of smokers.  A traeger style wood pellet feed that is pretty dope and has made the trips plenty of times.  But this last time he camped he brought one of these and I fell in love.  The one he had linked up by blue tooth to an app on your phone.  He had a probe in the meat.  He could look at his phone and see what temp the smoker was, what temp the meat was and could adjust the temp of the smoker from his phone.  He could fit about 8 full racks of ribs in it.  Multiple full briskets and/or butts.  Complete hams or turkeys!  It would hold 40 lbs of wood pellets.  One of these days I will have one.  

Pit Boss smoker

Product Image 1

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That could be a good retaarment gig for you and the Mrs., visiting forumites across the country for lunch and dinner.  You could take the motorhome or the motorsickle for variety.

We were talking about doing some racing in California and Canada next year and making stops along the way to visit different areas along the way. When we are traveling home from the races we like to stop in different areas and do some mountain bike or hiking. 

It would be fun to see some of the people from this site. 

Wo46 was talking about retiring this summer but with what's going on in the country that might be put on hold