Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story...

ChrisL

Watching the news story on Huntington Beach taking legal action on our Governor. I commented about our busy beaches but Huntington Beach closed all city parking lots, metered street parking and has closed all green belts.  Crowds were maybe 20% of usual summer crowds, I know as I was there last weekend.

But all of the footage shows pre shut down crowds on the beach, open parking lots full of cars & open green belts crowded with people.  

I guess it’s a better story when stock footage from years past is shown instead of what it really looked like...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

I saw a news show do something similar. In small print it said 'stock footage".

Yeah frustrating... Newport Beach actually had bigger crowds than Huntington Beach as there is more residential along the shore so more unmetered street parking and city lots were open.   Newport Beach had far larger crowds but isn’t contesting the order.  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah frustrating... Newport Beach actually had bigger crowds than Huntington Beach as there is more residential along the shore so more unmetered street parking and city lots were open.   Newport Beach had far larger crowds but isn’t contesting the order.  

It is frustrating when the media wants to grab reader's attention by using misleading images.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Watching the news story on Huntington Beach taking legal action on our Governor. I commented about our busy beaches but Huntington Beach closed all city parking lots, metered street parking and has closed all green belts.  Crowds were maybe 20% of usual summer crowds, I know as I was there last weekend.

But all of the footage shows pre shut down crowds on the beach, open parking lots full of cars & open green belts crowded with people.  

I guess it’s a better story when stock footage from years past is shown instead of what it really looked like...

It was probably choosing between "stock" footage or cell phone footage taken from someone's Instagram feed!

I can't imagine the "fun" of working for a local news station.   Sure, you guys get the hotties out in CA for your news, but still, it seems to be an awful job.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

You guys took scofflaw lessons from Smudge.

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, ChrisL said:

They do the same thing on the Baltimore news during snow storms.  They show roads in the mountains of Western Maryland getting pounded while the snow isn't even sticking to the roads in Central MD.