ESPN 30 for 30 Lance (no spoiler)

bikeman564™

I watched both parts of the documentary last night and was entertained. It was interesting to see who was interviewed for it. Betsy was on it, no Frankie though. I understand the Floyd Landis/LA conflict more now. And I was surprised that ESPN let the F bombs fly. Zero censorship :D made for good watching. Recommended.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I watched both parts of the documentary last night and was entertained. It was interesting to see who was interviewed for it. Betsy was on it, no Frankie though. I understand the Floyd Landis/LA conflict more now. And I was surprised that ESPN let the F bombs fly. Zero censorship :D made for good watching. Recommended.

I don't have espn, but would watch if I could.

Betsy, is there ever a time she is not being interviewed about LA?  Does she still sound like a psycho, or has that subsided?

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Betsy, is there ever a time she is not being interviewed about LA?  Does she still sound like a psycho, or has that subsided?

I'd say no, but what she heard LA admit to during visiting him in the hospital was a pivotal moment for sure. And she was right, heh? She seemed calm on this documentary.

LA reminds me of a mafia boss, who couldn't be touched, and threatened (sued) anyone who challenged him. Whats more made life miserable for former team mates. Then in the end, the truth was known. Crazy shit for a sport :wacko: I still would like to ride with him.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'd say no, but what she heard LA admit to during visiting him in the hospital was a pivotal moment for sure. And she was right, heh? She seemed calm on this documentary

That's the awful part of it all. She was honest and CORRECT since DAY 1.  But I think a LOT of folks wrote her off as a crazy beotch, and it wasn't like she was even doing anything extraordinary other than being honest anytime someone asked her about LA and drugs.

CRAZY stuff.  It was tried - the "call them nuts or disgruntled" - with other folks, but Betsy got the worst of it, and it stuck - likely because she's a woman.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

That's the awful part of it all. She was honest and CORRECT since DAY 1.  But I think a LOT of folks wrote her off as a crazy beotch, and it wasn't like she was even doing anything extraordinary other than being honest anytime someone asked her about LA and drugs.

CRAZY stuff.  It was tried - the "call them nuts or disgruntled" - with other folks, but Betsy got the worst of it, and it stuck - likely because she's a woman.

You think she got the worst? Even over Emma O’ Reilly and LeMond? I honestly think his feud with LeMond was worse.   

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Not sure if you know that was Part 3 & 4 that aired last night.  It was a 4 part documentary.

I watched it, interviews of other riders were the best, getting their take on things.  No real revelations for me.

Just now, ChrisL said:

You think she got the worst? Even over Emma O’ Reilly and LeMond? I honestly think his feud with LeMond was worse.   

Oh yeah.  Emma got just a small taste, but she was essentially a bit player.  Lemond was going on his instincts (and maybe believed Betsy), but he is often his own worst enemy.  I'd say he got it worse from a financial standpoint, though.  I also think Landis got it bad, but he always seemed a bit like Lemond in the "own worst enemy" way.

But, yeah, there is definitely a long list of the screwed by LA and his inner circle.  Probably hard to actually assign a fair ranking!

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not sure if you know that was Part 3 & 4 that aired last night.  It was a 4 part documentary.

I watched it, interviews of other riders were the best, getting their take on things.  No real revelations for me.

It was two - two hour broadcasts, so either 4 parts (1hr ea) or 2 parts (2hr ea).  I taped both, and will finally watch later this week.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

:scratchhead: ESPN shows two parts, my channel guide had part 1 & 2 (both 2 hrs) last night.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/29224228/lance-part-2-how-watch-stream-espn-lance-armstrong-documentary

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think some people did believe her, as people did know LA was a giant dickhead to people. That said, being shrill and bringing it at a fever pitch every chance she got even as her husband was trying to get her to calm down didn't help.  I thought/still think she is a bit of a psycho and has little situational awareness.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

being shrill

That's probably a biological/physical thing, eh?  I doubt James Earl Jones was ever or could ever be "shrill".  Was he ever in a fever pitch? If so, probably couldn't tell from his voice. Likewise, a person with a naturally shrill voice ("high-pitched and piercing") will seemingly be judged forever by that and not what they are actually saying :(

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

That's probably a biological/physical thing, eh?  I doubt James Earl Jones was ever or could ever be "shrill".  Was he ever in a fever pitch? If so, probably couldn't tell from his voice. Likewise, a person with a naturally shrill voice ("high-pitched and piercing") will seemingly be judged forever by that and not what they are actually saying :(

Frankie didn't marry James Earl Jones.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Not that it matters but are Frankie & Betsy still married?  That would have to be tough on a marriage.  LA, your good friend calls your wife all sorts of names & publicly discredits her. 

Yes they are. I've met Frankie a few times, great guy. When he spoke at my bike club meeting in 2018, I was very surprised he said he has a signed LA jersey hanging in his home office.

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not that it matters but are Frankie & Betsy still married?  That would have to be tough on a marriage.  LA, your good friend calls your wife all sorts of names & publicly discredits her. 

But Frankie knew his wife was telling the truth and that LA was trying to intimidate her.  If your wife was smeared by a "friend" of yours, really, who's side would you take? It's a no brainer - assuming the marriage is a stable one.  Folks hear "shrill" when they don't want to hear the message.  Most of us wanted to believe LA was clean and that the naysayers - Betsy, Lemond, the French media, etc. - were just jealous, shrill, or anti-American.  But in hindsight, I don't find Betsy's public comments to sound shrill.  I'm open to rewatching some if RG wants to spotlight the ones that make her look shrill or overboard.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

But Frankie knew his wife was telling the truth and that LA was trying to intimidate her.  If your wife was smeared by a "friend" of yours, really, who's side would you take? It's a no brainer - assuming the marriage is a stable one.  Folks hear "shrill" when they don't want to hear the message.  Most of us wanted to believe LA was clean and that the naysayers - Betsy, Lemond, the French media, etc. - were just jealous, shrill, or anti-American.  But in hindsight, I don't find Betsy's public comments to sound shrill.  I'm open to rewatching some if RG wants to spotlight the ones that make her look shrill or overboard.

That was the LA posse piling on Betsy, GL & all who opposed him.  I don’t think she came of shrill. Lemond however came off a little odd on some of his rants.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Folks hear "shrill" when they don't want to hear the message. 

I'm open to rewatching some if RG wants to spotlight the ones that make her look shrill or overboard.

Or just when someone is shrill.

Basically, she made her point, LA went after her, she defended herself.  Then took every single opportunity given or any opportunity she could manufacture to belabor her point on camera.  Other folks didn't go so overboard, not even Lemond.  It was a weird OCD thing, is seemed, just seemed like a bird squawking over and over and saying nothing new.  Over and over does no good, you just sound crazy after a while.  She sounds crazy to me, not because she was right, but because of the frequency.  Plus, it was actively hurting Frankie's career at one point, I am sure Frankie just wanted to forget the whole damn thing.

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That was the LA posse piling on Betsy, GL & all who opposed him.  I don’t think she came of shrill. Lemond however came off a little odd on some of his rants.

I think Lemond did come off as more odd than shrill.  Too bad LA was such a butthead about everything.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Over and over does no good, you just sound crazy after a while.

Again, that's seems like perception over reality.  Is talking about it once a year bonkers? Twice a year?  Really, what's the limits for that?  Like, I'm all in the "get over it" sort of thing where folks have to move on at some point, but the LA saga was unfolding the WHOLE time. She was literally commenting on questions being asked - to her - about LA.  Folks came to her, Lemond, Landis, other folks in the arena for their comments, and those comments were given (and apparently truthful). 

Would you honestly stop talking about an on-going situation where you were one of the key witnesses?

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Folks came to her

They did.  My understanding is that she would call in to every radio show, talk show, etc if people even mentioned LA.  Anyway, doesn't matter, can't prove anything one way or another about her being psycho about this, just my impression.  I am glad Frankie is married to her and not me, though.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:56 AM, Randomguy said:

Betsy, is there ever a time she is not being interviewed about LA?

I don’t think it would be a LA doping story without Besty’s involvement. Honestly, I’ve lost interest in all things Lance. I’d far rather talk about Floyd and Tyler than LA.  I feel Floyd is a heroic figure, despite his flaws, and Tyler came clean when called on it.

• Heart 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:40 AM, bikeman564™ said:

The whistle-blowing Andreus but no Kristin Richard or Sheryl Crow?