Are you ever surprised

Scrapr

3 hours ago, Scrapr said:

at the "official" elevation of hills? This one hill I have a phobia about. Turns out it's only 279'.

WTF....when I'm riding it I'm sure it's 1500'

how does this happen?

Is it straight up.  Are the approaches a long grinding more gentle up.  My house is on a hill and it's a quarter mile from a stop sign at the end of the road.  In that quarter mile I have to climb 180 feet and there is a false flat part way up that makes the actual climbing sections even worse.  All of this comes after at least a half mile of steady up on the approach to the bottom.

Yes, at times winter driving here can be a bitch. 

14 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

South jersey is snot quite as flat as Holland but it is close!  They don’t mark elevation on the overpasses or the creek banks. :D

The highest piece of land in Miami is a highway overpass.  In Key West it's something like 15 feet and that's a named hill.  

It is important to be positive in our thinking, when you approach a climb.  Keep telling yourself how easy it is.  When I am half way up a big climb, I focus on the idea that it is pretty much already conquered.  PLay mind games with yourself as you contemplate climbing an enormous hill, so you can blast back down it.  

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Is it straight up.  Are the approaches a long grinding more gentle up.  My house is on a hill and it's a quarter mile from a stop sign at the end of the road.  In that quarter mile I have to climb 180 feet and there is a false flat part way up that makes the actual climbing sections even worse.  All of this comes after at least a half mile of steady up on the approach to the bottom.

Yes, at times winter driving here can be a bitch. 

I'm kind of embarassed to say...it's a mile long. The last quarter mile is sort of uphill rollers. At the bottom portion you can peak at the higher portions that are cut into a hillside. Maybe the cut makes it look worse? I try not to look

The way my rides are set up I do the downhill first, then the main portion of my ride. Then the uphill about 2-3 miles from the end. So all the yahoo is early and the suck is at the end. I did Strava PR yesterday on it though. 

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Scrapr said:

at the "official" elevation of hills? This one hill I have a phobia about. Turns out it's only 279'.

how does this happen?

You are on the west coast, where the effects of 'Plate Tectonics' are much more pronounced than elsewhere.  That is why somedays the hills are super steep and other days feel flat, the Earth's crust is flexing

It is also how the hills around here get steeper every spring

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

You are on the west coast, where the effects of 'Plate Tectonics' are much more pronounced than elsewhere.  That is why somedays the hills are super steep and other days feel flat, the Earth's crust is flexing

It is also how the hills around here get steeper every spring

In the east we have a problem with large population densities causing the land to sink and making everything uphill from there.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Scrapr said:

how does this happen?

I'm surprised too.  The loop, 10.6 mile, BWI Airport Bike Trail begins for most on the low side of the airport in "Observation Park." It drops a little in elevation for 1.3 miles then it's a 3.5 mile almost constantly uphill slog to get to the highest point on the high side of the airport.

The difference seems like it should be hundreds of feet - one section of the trail that runs alongside a straight road, I can see over a mile downhill, and it seems like 100+ feet right there alone.  And that's before steeper uphill sections.

But Google Earth says the elevation of the highest point is 62 meters and the lowest point 19 meters.  That's only 141 feet!