Outdoor Christmas decorating ..as a company business

shootingstar

This whole concept just hit our local news today.  Even Home Depot is getting into the act.  The prices range from a fixed $200 to variable depending on the size of your house and the size of the desired display.  I guess that the virus has created a whole bunch of free lance companies providing services as needed.

I worked for a Chicago landscape company for thirty years. Inside and outside Christmas decorations was always huge. HUGE! Like millions of dollars annually huge. My phone's memory card recently failed, but I had pictures of hundreds of huge, decorated artificial Christmas trees, sleighs, etc, etc filling up a warehouse. In November my crews and I would switch from planting trees to installing the tiny white twinkle lights on all the trees along Michigan ave. We had to have them finished and plugged in by Thanksgiving. After that, we installed the plows/salting equipment on the trucks and concentrated on snow removal until spring.

• Heart 1

It's a tiny, minuscule niche market, but it certainly has a time and place.  In this gig economy and capitalizing on TV shows focused around it, holiday decorating - especially Halloween and x-mas - is something people have grown to enjoy and expect.  Each year, folks need to do "a little more", and soon it becomes a process needing professional help :D

We all remember the Christmas Vacation decorating or the Christmas Story decorating.  Charlie Brown did it.  My granddad had a fullsize Santa that rotated and waved.  It's just cheaper and easier to go big these days.

21 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I worked for a Chicago landscape company for thirty years. Inside and outside Christmas decorations was always huge. HUGE! Like millions of dollars annually huge. My phone's memory card recently failed, but I had pictures of hundreds of huge, decorated artificial Christmas trees, sleighs, etc, etc filling up a warehouse. In November my crews and I would switch from planting trees to installing the tiny white twinkle lights on all the trees along Michigan ave. We had to have them finished and plugged in by Thanksgiving. After that, we installed the plows/salting equipment on the trucks and concentrated on snow removal until spring.

I had no idea that this market even existed.  

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I had no idea that this market even existed.  

You likely, over the years, have visited many places - from hotels to large corporate office building lobbies to "Main Street  USA" displays - where those things are often done by a business, not the hotel, corporation, or municipality.  Now, it is just trickling to the private market more as folks want it for their homes too.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

You likely, over the years, have visited many places - from hotels to large corporate office building lobbies to "Main Street  USA" displays - where those things are often done by a business, not the hotel, corporation, or municipality.  Now, it is just trickling to the private market more as folks want it for their homes too.

Yuppie heaven.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

There is a difference between commercial building decorating and private home decorating.  It appears that some yuppies don't understand that.

Where does "yuppies" come in to this story?  I'd put more faith in it being a suburban or even a suburban/rural boundary thing.  But that's me.  I'd also err towards middle aged demographics???  But that's more based on the folks in the Christmas display TV shows.

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

:facepalm:

You don't think it is mostly in the suburbs? Or even the outer burbs where folks have the bigger homes and yards that they can fill up with christmas stuff?  I doubt a loft in Soho really has much space to display much more than a 2' mini-tree and maybe a wreath or candle in a window.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You don't think it is mostly in the suburbs? Or even the outer burbs where folks have the bigger homes and yards that they can fill up with christmas stuff?  I doubt a loft in Soho really has much space to display much more than a 2' mini-tree and maybe a wreath or candle in a window.

Thus the stereotype word "yuppie".