Sometimes Being a Dad Does Not Suck

jsharr

My brother was a big Hyundai guy. However all 3 of the cars he has owned fell victim to the engine bearing issues. He is meticulous about maintenance so it wasn’t neglect.  2 were under warranty. The last one started making noise on the one he sold to his son. He told him to trade it in now! He didn’t get a great trade in price, but better than if it had to be towed for trade. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, groupw said:

My brother was a big Hyundai guy. However all 3 of the cars he has owned fell victim to the engine bearing issues. He is meticulous about maintenance so it wasn’t neglect.  2 were under warranty. The last one started making noise on the one he sold to his son. He told him to trade it in now! He didn’t get a great trade in price, but better than if it had to be towed for trade. 

Where they more recent Hyundai’s?  My wife leased 3 different Elantra’s over the past 10 years and granted turned them in with low miles but she had 0 issues with them. 

I had heard quality had improved tremendously in recent years but maybe some issues persist?

14 hours ago, jsharr said:

Ryan and I took the car back.  They offered to replace the battery cable ends.  I held my ground.  They refunded my down payment and cancelled the financing.  We decided to check their lot and found a Hyundai Elantra GLS that is better appointed and has lower miles for approximately the same price.

They let me take it home tonight to take to my mechanic tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.

hyundai.jpg

My wife leased 3 of them & loved her Elantra’s. High on features & reasonably priced.  They where somewhat meh from a fun to drive aspect but for a teenager that met be better than zoom zoom. 

My wife really had no mechanical or really any issues with her cars but turned them in with under 30k miles so didn’t put a lot of miles on them either. 

My niece is still driving the  old Hyundai she inherited from my parents. Technically she didn't really "inherit" it ,but nobody else needed a car so she got it.  She lives in an area with bad weather, so I'm surprised she hasn't gotten something with 4 wheel drive, but she enjoys the car and it has held up very well for her.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Where they more recent Hyundai’s?  My wife leased 3 different Elantra’s over the past 10 years and granted turned them in with low miles but she had 0 issues with them. 

I had heard quality had improved tremendously in recent years but maybe some issues persist?

They were in the 2010 to 2015 range. 1 Sonata and 2 Elantras. I drove the Sonata a couple times. Decent car but not exciting. They were for SIL and their boys. She got an Elantra first. Gave that one to the boys when she got the Sonata. When oldest son went to college, they helped him find a used Elantra. That was the last one traded in. To their credit, Hyundai replaced the engines under warranty without any hassles. 

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, groupw said:

To their credit, Hyundai replaced the engines under warranty without any hassles. 

They’ve had a lot of practice. My nephew had his first engine replaced under warranty. It was out of warranty when the second one went, he junked the car.