bikeman564™

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Evidently there's been one (count it: 1) reported death from Omicron. Of course it's probably underreported so let's call it 10.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10303843/Omicron-makes-40-new-Covid-cases-London-Boris-Johnson-reveals.html

Unfortunately, deaths lag. I think Omicron hit the UK at the same time as us, so I think it’s too soon to know the Omicron death rate. Overall, the numbers look bleak after Thanksgiving. Infections up 43% in the US in the past two weeks, hospitalizations are up 23%, and deaths up 32% during that time. So we’ll see what the next two weeks bring.

6 hours ago, 12string said:

Wait a second!  Is it a symbol in mathematics, or a Greek Letter?  How can I believe the doctors when they keep changing their minds?

It's a Greek letter that most of the reporters on TV are mis-pronouncing as OH-mih-kron.  It's AH-mih-kron.

7 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Evidently there's been one (count it: 1) reported death from Omicron. Of course it's probably underreported so let's call it 10.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10303843/Omicron-makes-40-new-Covid-cases-London-Boris-Johnson-reveals.html

Today, ABC reported there have been 10 Omicron hospitalizations in the UK, where there are so many cases it's expected to be the majority of cases within a month - and the UK tests for variant in 13.3% of cases vs 3.8% in the USA.

The 17 positive cases on the cruise ship that docked in New Orleans a week or so ago were ALL asymptomatic.  They were also all vaccinated.

It's too early to say for sure, but the initial assessment of the researchers in South Africa seems to have been right: very mild, similar to the flu, COVID vaccinated people handle it better than the unvaxxed.

• Heart 2