Now I'm growing grass...

MickinMD

...but not that kind.

When I tilled the garden, my brother warned me to rake out all the grass clumps before the tiller ripped them into small pieces.

I didn't listen.  Now I've almost got a lawn 6" high.

I'll have to wet the garden well tomorrow morning - it doesn't reach 90° until noon - then hoe, rake, and carefully dig.

At least the tomato plants are growing like crazy - approaching 3 feet tall.  Here's part of it.  All of the tomato plants have flowers, some beginning to close and become tomatoes.

20220630_151239_900p.jpg.21e5708b708b6c708ece0ec3b6f75de2.jpg

This Brandywine Pink tomato plant has huge, potato-like leaves.  The bell pepper plants are approaching 1 foot high.

20220630_151301_900p.thumb.jpg.ee145ac7e855f80460c976e3cb01862d.jpg

I've read pros and cons about the standard pinching off the top of the leading stem to encourage spreading and will need to do it soon if I'm going to do so.  Since I'm comparing 3 different varieties, I think I'll pinch all of them or none of them: I think I'll pinch all of them because that's what the experts recommend and I've given them 2' of space between plants.

20220630_151332_900p.thumb.jpg.07e28a2719e329ac1482d46de4d833f8.jpg

Get a thick layer of mulch or landscaping fabric to cover the ground between the plants 

I have used straw, grass clippings, and this year, landscaping fabric 

The verdict isn’t in on the fabric yet, but I think I prefer straw. You have to be careful to get unsprayed straw though, some of the herbicides they use on grains will really do a number on a garden 

12 hours ago, Further said:

Get a thick layer of mulch or landscaping fabric to cover the ground between the plants 

I have used straw, grass clippings, and this year, landscaping fabric 

The verdict isn’t in on the fabric yet, but I think I prefer straw. You have to be careful to get unsprayed straw though, some of the herbicides they use on grains will really do a number on a garden 

Grass clippings has been the plan.

The stupid thing I did is let the tiller chew up the grass roots from the original lawn where the garden patch is into small pieces that sprouted all over.

I'm waiting until 9:30 - 10 am to hoe, rake, dig up, and remove the grass so I don't wake my neighbor, who hasn't felt well lately.

I have one pile of grass clippings to spread and will mow the lawn again within a week.

I did use a tiller to mix 3 lawnmowing's worth of of grass clippings into the clays soil and there is a little "thatch" sitting on the surface.

I have no idea of why anyone would grow anything other than native vegetation that grows naturally, maybe cut that down every couple of weeks or so.  Talk about boring, just plain grass, nothing but bland, and labor and water intensive, wtf cares about that?  

Just let it return to nature, you will be far better off.

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have no idea of why anyone would grow anything other than native vegetation that grows naturally, maybe cut that down every couple of weeks or so.  Talk about boring, just plain grass, nothing but bland, and labor and water intensive, wtf cares about that?  

Just let it return to nature, you will be far better off.

Ever played soccer, football, baseball, catch, croquet, bocce, slip & slide, or any fun outdoor games on a weedy lot?  Not a lot of fun.  Grass is horrible for the world, but wonderful for playing outside.  Screw the rest of the planet, I'm gonna keep enjoying lawns :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ever played soccer, football, baseball, catch, croquet, bocce, slip & slide, or any fun outdoor games on a weedy lot?  Not a lot of fun.  Grass is horrible for the world, but wonderful for playing outside.  Screw the rest of the planet, I'm gonna keep enjoying lawns :D

Young kids shouldn't be playing on any surface, they should be toiling in factories and mines all day as soon as they stop needing diapers.  Trust me, child labor laws will be changed to reflect that soon, seems the trend.