Shit is getting real down in Texas

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

I believe north of Toronto, there are some towns that have created ice skating "trails" through their woods to attract locals and tourists.  But then in the city itself an ice skating way was done near Lake Ontario.

That hasn't happened in the prairies...of course, not all cities have woods with the right "path" to create the ice skating trail. I can't imagine the prairie municipalties having enough labour to start it up and maintain it for long. There is a cost to all that. 

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I believe north of Toronto, there are some towns that have created ice skating "trails" through their woods to attract locals and tourists.  But then in the city itself an ice skating way was done near Lake Ontario.

That hasn't happened in the prairies...of course, not all cities have woods with the right "path" to create the ice skating trail. I can't imagine the prairie municipalties having enough labour to start it up and maintain it for long. There is a cost to all that. 

Spruce Grove, just outside Edmonton, has a really nice trail, especially when lit at Christmas. 

Central-Park-Spruce-Grove-Winter-Skating

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Spruce Grove, just outside Edmonton, has a really nice trail, especially when lit at Christmas. 

Central-Park-Spruce-Grove-Winter-Skating

Area less likely to get chinook like winds to melt in winter.  Christmas lit trail is always a lovely draw.

In my area, the portion of the river in park area, was frozen for a few years.  Then the city stopped doing it.  I never saw alot of people using it all the time.  Our community association did host some annual skating parties for a few years.  Unfortunately we get some super cold days, that would be a big turnoff to get onto the ice.

In Calgary, in front of city hall, Olympic Plaza is frozen/prepped for ice skaters.

I'm sure the quality of ice would naturally be better because our air is drier than Toronto area.

I'm not an ice skater at all. But all my nieces and nephews are...parents made sure they played ice hockey teams, etc. Very CAnadian, if one can afford it.