Regarding the gun rights here

Dirtyhip

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is laughable to think that we have any chance of overtaking the military here.  They are strapped, highly trained and have so much tech.  Keep dreaming about uprising., cause that is all it will be. A dream or a fantasy.  

Like I say, sometimes the military is complicit in a coup.  I am not saying that will happen, nor is it what I dream or fantasize about.  I also won't rule it out as an eventuality though.  The chasm deepens as the divide widens and the radicals are still setting new boundaries on both sides.  Weaponizing, political systems,  legal systems and courts will only hasten the eventuality. 

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, groupw said:

The problem with harsher penalties is they mean nothing to those who plan to die while committing their atrocities. Look at all the videos and manifestos posted by mass shooters. Most don’t expect to survive. 
We need to do a better job of getting people help before they make that awful turn. We need to turn down the fear and anger that trigger these events. Prevention instead of retribution. 

True, but turning violent offenders back on to the streets certainly isn't working either.  Crime is increasing, in your country and mine. 

Our crime is at a level higher than the national average.  This is what happens whne there is too many poor people with no hope.  It will get worse as companies squeeze us more. They have high profits nad refuse to share that wealth with the people that make it possible.  The CEOs are not the hard working people.  That narrative is bullshit.

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Please don't make up attributions for quotes.  It's bullshit.  I didn't say that.

You posted:  

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Crime is increasing

This is artificial intelligence quality stuff.

Yeah - that is a weird Cafe thing!  That was @Wilbur quote in your post!!!!! Fixed.

In NYC, crime isn't increasing.  It seems part of a manufactured claim that it is a violent hellhole. 

I liken it to the widespread conservative nutjob misinformation claim a couple of years back during the pandemic; that Portland was nothing but chaos with antifa looting and raping and burning everything in site, and "IT IS THAT WAY RIGHT NOW!!!"  So I called a friend in Portland who was sitting at a sidewalk cafe in the city having a beer at the time, and he said "Huh?  Wtf are you talking about?"  Od course it was a lie, you just had to look at the sources of that 'news'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (AP) — Following Monday’s congressional hearing on violent crime in New York City, claims spread across social media that the bad old days are back in the nation’s largest city.

Conservatives and other users widely shared a video clip of New York City Councilman Robert Holden, who testified at the special hearing in Manhattan that he’s “never seen the lawlessness” he’s seen today in his lifetime.

“DEMOCRAT city councilman Robert Holden has lived in New York City for 71 years,” Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee that held the hearing tweeted, along with a clip of the Queens lawmaker’s testimony. “He’s never seen crime this bad.”  But experts and city officials say crime across the five boroughs is nowhere near the levels seen in the 1990s, and while there was a rise in 2022, those figures are already trending down this year.

Here’s a closer look at the facts.

CLAIM: Crime in New York City is the worst it’s ever been, especially in the borough of Manhattan where Trump faces criminal charges.

THE FACTS: While it’s true that major crimes in New York City rose last year compared to 2021, criminal justice experts say crime levels were significantly higher three decades ago, and that the current levels are more comparable to where New York was a decade ago, when people frequently lauded it as America’s safest big city.

The New York Police Department and Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office, meanwhile, argue the recent surge is already receding. Through the first quarter of 2023, major crimes are down overall compared to the same period last year.

I don't what the apples to apples comparison is between shootings and crime or violent crime.  

CT has a shooting problem last year and this year.  We can hardly go a day without new reports of a shooting overnight.  That doesn't necessarily track as deaths or homicides.  I guess if you recover some don't want to count it