Moving to Rumble

Wilbur

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

These companies don't seem to realize that when they try the 'drop ad blocker or else' game that many people simply choose a similar service - of which there are many - that is willing to forego the ad blocker requirement so they can pick up customers who flee the companies who impose it.

You hit the nail on the head in the hotel thread.  Youtube is a business, and if folks like it, it's not a bad idea to "pay" for it either by watching ads or paying $$$. :dontknow:

"People don't like paying the higher prices, but the higher prices make the business more profitable, which in turn allows the business to keep operating, keep paying their employees, and keep contributing to the local economy."

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t think yew toob contributes to my local economy. Maybe they do it in secret. I like YouTube .

Hard to know. I'm thinking there are some folks making $$$ from their postings in your area, but maybe Mercer just doesn't have enough folks?  Tons in Pittsburgh, though, but that might not count as "local" as much as regional.

What bugs me are the sites for which I've turned off my AbBlock Plus, but they demand I turn off my Firefox antitracking app!  In other words, we demand to invade your privacy and act like Big Brother is watching you, even though every ad gets through. FU! USA Today is one such site from which I don't get news anymore because of that.

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

What bugs me are the sites for which I've turned off my AbBlock Plus, but they demand I turn off my Firefox antitracking app!  In other words, we demand to invade your privacy and act like Big Brother is watching you, even though every ad gets through. FU! USA Today is one such site from which I don't get news anymore because of that.

USA Today is, to my view, just a clickbait site anyway.  

But, again, how are you paying for the sites you do visit? Or is it expected they be free?

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t think yew toob contributes to my local economy. Maybe they do it in secret. I like YouTube .

I do know that you can find out how to do almost anything on YouTube.  That saves money to be spent in the economy as well as cutting back on jobs for carpenters, plumbers, etc.

When I started riding a bike at age 50 in 2011, after not riding for over 30 years, my teenage 3-speed knowledge was so far behind the technology that I used YouTube to bring me up to date about adjusting derailleurs, disc brakes, etc. in case I had a break-down deep in the woods on some trail.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

USA Today is, to my view, just a clickbait site anyway.  

But, again, how are you paying for the sites you do visit? Or is it expected they be free?

Basically, I'm paying by turning off Adblock Plus, allowing ads where companies pay because I clicked on the site.  I refuse to pay by turning off antitracking software and allowing them to learn my habits and sell them to other companies to gain an edge on how they they present ads to psychologically entice me.  I feel that should be illegal.

Note that I do pay $8.48/month for online: Wall Street Journal plus Marketwatch plus Barron's.  They don't demand me to turn off antitracking software.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Basically, I'm paying by turning off Adblock Plus, allowing ads where companies pay because I clicked on the site.  I refuse to pay by turning off antitracking software and allowing them to learn my habits and sell them to other companies to gain an edge on how they they present ads to psychologically entice me.  I feel that should be illegal.

Note that I do pay $8.48/month for online: Wall Street Journal plus Marketwatch plus Barron's.  They don't demand me to turn off antitracking software.

I hear you on the tracking stuff, and see why folks try to stop or minimize it.  Of course, the "learn my habits and sell them to other companies" is part of their (and many) websites business model, and it part of the "you give, we give in return" marketplace.  I find it interesting to use a browser like DuckDuckGo to see immediately what they are blocking and what the a site might be trying to track.  I don't think I'm staying ahead of the trackers though. Their motivation to increase profit is greater than my time & energy to thwart those attempts.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

USA Today is one such site from which I don't get news anymore because of that.

No real loss there. 😉 Try the WSJ. Their subscription price is reasonable for the quality of content, which prefers a market-oriented lens in their analysis. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

YouTube wants me to either stop using an ad blocker or buy their Premium service.  I don't think so. 

What content do you watch? And is Rumble a better platform? 

On YouTube, we watch two vloggers who essay about philosophy. #2 son watches children’s program re-runs. :unsure: It’s his comfort zone…he has memorized the dialogue of every Thomas the Tank Engine episode. 

I removed ABP and installed Adguard.  I am a Safari user so Ublock won't work. Youtube works again, but I suspect they just haven't blocked Adguard yet.  Rumble is still in its infancy but it is getting better and any content creator that fears being blocked at YT now has a Rumble channel.  It is primarily a free speech site so you get a lot of Conservative content. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You hit the nail on the head in the hotel thread.  Youtube is a business, and if folks like it, it's not a bad idea to "pay" for it either by watching ads or paying $$$. :dontknow:

"People don't like paying the higher prices, but the higher prices make the business more profitable, which in turn allows the business to keep operating, keep paying their employees, and keep contributing to the local economy."

Well, no.

Entirely different scenario.

If you want a hotel room in a certain area during a certain time to attend a popular event, the supply of rooms is limited, so prices go up because demand is high. 

Youtube is certainly a business, but the internet is not limited in terms of place and time for services.  'Supply' has many options unless you're looking for certain characteristics or features that only one company can provide.

So, if you're not wedded to a narrow set of features, you can just go to another site that gives you the same information in a slightly different form but lets you keep using the ad blocker.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

It is primarily a free speech site so you get a lot of Conservative content

I used an openly Libertarian educational resource with my Journalism classes because I really liked their question sets for discussion of current events. Lots of questions about autonomy, agency, personal responsibility, and the role of government. 

20 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Well, no.

Entirely different scenario.

If you want a hotel room in a certain area during a certain time to attend a popular event, the supply of rooms is limited, so prices go up because demand is high. 

Youtube is certainly a business, but the internet is not limited in terms of place and time for services.  'Supply' has many options unless you're looking for certain characteristics or features that only one company can provide.

So, if you're not wedded to a narrow set of features, you can just go to another site that gives you the same information in a slightly different form but lets you keep using the ad blocker.

Yeah, you seem correct.  What you wrote doesn't make any sense without some parentheses and few id ests! Now its much simpler for the non-lawyers :D

"People don't like paying the higher prices (ie watching ads/paying for Premium), but the higher prices (ie ads/Premium) make the business more profitable, which in turn allows the business to keep operating, keep paying their employees, and keep contributing to the local economy."

FTR, the other bits of your argument are nonsense, but the quote of yours I used isn't.