You can't make this shit up

dinneR

10 minutes ago, dinneR said:

My housing problems continue. I told my current landlord I would not qualify for my apt and would move out at the end of April. I asked if anything else was available. Possibly, fill out an application, pay us and we will let you know. My rent would more than double and the fees would increase. I would have to pay another security deposit. Ok, I jump through the hoops. Last week I got an email saying Great news, availability! May 1. I say I'll take it. Nothing. I email again. Nothing. I call. Nothing. Finally, they call me and say I am not eligible. 

We have a policy in place that prevents us from transferring residents during our turn months of May and November. This means that in order to transfer you to another apartment, one would have needed to become available in April or June.

Somebody who doesn't live here can move in, but I cannot because I am a current resident. I asked why she even told me to apply and why she sent me the great news email if I was not eligible. I got a  stupid answer about the arbitrary policy, so I asked for a refund on my application fee. 

Why can't you room with your sister at Lake Fancypants temporarily?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, dinneR said:

One of my co-workers gave me her notice. She lost her housing and is leaving the valley.

I would think this has to be a very common occurrence for the non wealthy average worker.  

When I was there a woman in some silly shop said her and her husband sold their home and made a mint and bought in a town about 20? 30? miles to the south. I was thinking that’s a very common commute in the big city but the two lane hwy could be a bitch and not all small towns are desirable.

4 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Eventually, some people give up and move.

Freeing up rentals!  Just tough it out and some softer sap will cave first!

Sadly, the reality is that you have to assess if it will get better or will trend worse and worse.  Either it's time to buy a place and let that value go up and up (eventually cash out) or call it a day and move to some less popular ski town in UT or CO (are there some?).  

3 hours ago, dinneR said:

Somebody who doesn't live here can move in, but I cannot because I am a current resident.

This seems like a well-intentioned, but ultimately misleading policy. It creates false housing availability. 

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

This seems like a well-intentioned, but ultimately misleading policy. It creates false housing availability. 

Not well-intentioned at all. She said it's because they are busy. The manager is an idiot. She lost my taxes and threatened to evict me if I did not email copies to her. She booted my friend's car. She said it had been there two days. It was there two hours and had a guest parking sticker on the dash. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, dinneR said:

My housing problems continue. I told my current landlord I would not qualify for my apt and would move out at the end of April.

So, at the end of April you are homeless?  :(

Then what? 

Whitefish MT is the bomb.  But I know nothing of their economics or their airport (they have one, right?). If you can stand the cold (dinneR definitely can) then Lake Flathead area w/ Glacier National Park is very desirable area. Not much of a drop off beauty-wise and Whitefish has a similar feel to me as Jackson. But I've never lived in either one.

29 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The Amish bakery I go to is on Hosack road. The houses along there look like you could buy them pretty cheap.

Here's a map of the Amish settlements in the US as of 2020. The closest thing to me is in western Montana.

amish counties, amish settlements, US Map, Where do the Amish live

• Awesome 1