Are rollers still a thing?

52 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I imagine some people use them.

I have a set of Kreitler Rollers.  I haven't been on then in at least 5 years. 

I used to ride them in the winter about 3 times a week.  You get to learn how to balance and hold your line.   

If you don't you fall over and/or ride off of the rollers and fall over.  Been there done that....    It's like forgetting to unclip.   And yes I used cleats and clipped in to ride them.

https://www.kreitler.com/alloy  I also used the 'Killer Headwind Fan'.   That added a LOT of resistance, based on how much you opened the cover to the fan.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I'd probably kill myself.

I used to ride inside my garage in the winter.  I'd move a car our and ride for 30 to 45 minutes.  I'd ride intervals to keep things interesting.  I needed to pay attention and concentrate on what I dong.

One day I'm riding... maybe 25 minutes into the ride.   WoBG walked into the garage.  I had NO idea she was there.  I was in my zone just riding.   WoBG says,  'Hi.'  That scared the shit out of me.  I swerved a bit...  just a little too much...  and I rode of the side of the rollers,   Then I fell over before I could unclip.  :frantics:     That was the first time I fell off the rollers in years. 

It takes a while to learn... but you won't die.  You may bruise your ego and possibly you side.    I always rode next to a wall on the right.  If I did fall over, it would be on the left side and I wouldn't kill the derailleur. 

• Heart 1

I have thought about getting rollers again.  I used them often in my racer boy days in the 80’s but chucked them many years ago.  I have a trainer but it won’t work with through axles whereas rollers work with any bike. 

• Like 1