Mounjaro users - any stomach or other side effects?

MickinMD

I spoke to my sister the nurse today and told her I had an upset stomach Mon. afternoon to Tues. evening, then a slight gassy stomach this afternoon after being fine this AM and only eating a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl at 5:30 am with coffee.  I was fine, went shopping around 11 am and, after the stomach began bothering me a little, had the rest of the chicken soup I didn't finish for dinner yesterday for lunch which settled the stomach a little.

She said it's probably the once-a-week Mounzaro injection I did Saturday, which slows down stomach/digestive processes.

The once-a-week shot she takes on Mondays will sometimes bother her on, say, Wednesday, she'll feel fine Thursday, and it will bother her again on Friday.

She says she gives herself the Mounjaro shot on Mondays so it will won't bother her by the weekend when there may be a party or other event to do.

I've been given the starter dose, 2.5 units/week and it's usually increased to 5.0 units after a month, then higher in 2.5 unit amounts as needed.

No wonder so many people are using it for weight loss!

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I spoke to my sister the nurse today and told her I had an upset stomach Mon. afternoon to Tues. evening, then a slight gassy stomach this afternoon after being fine this AM and only eating a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl at 5:30 am with coffee.  I was fine, went shopping around 11 am and, after the stomach began bothering me a little, had the rest of the chicken soup I didn't finish for dinner yesterday for lunch which settled the stomach a little.

She said it's probably the once-a-week Mounzaro injection I did Saturday, which slows down stomach/digestive processes.

The once-a-week shot she takes on Mondays will sometimes bother her on, say, Wednesday, she'll feel fine Thursday, and it will bother her again on Friday.

She says she gives herself the Mounjaro shot on Mondays so it will won't bother her by the weekend when there may be a party or other event to do.

I've been given the starter dose, 2.5 units/week and it's usually increased to 5.0 units after a month, then higher in 2.5 unit amounts as needed.

No wonder so many people are using it for weight loss!

I think I’m the only other person on Mounjaro and I had commented on your other upset stomach post but here’s my $.02.

Mounjaro, for me was less harsh than Ozempic where I often felt like I would throw up if I ate too much.  Even when I lowered my portions I often felt sick after a meal.  Mounjaro gives me a feeling of fullness and suppresses my appetite without making me feel sick/want to throw up.  I prefer it to Ozempic for this reason.  I started Mounjaro at 10 mg but that was because I had been on 2 mg of ozempic for a couple of years.   

As everyone’s experience will be different it’s hard to say if it was the Mounjaro or petrified eggs that did you in but if it persists, it’s likely the Mounjaro. If so, try eating smaller portions and see if that helps.  

• Heart 1

I am on Ozempic and like I stated in the other thread, it takes a few days, but I will feel a bit ill, full, bloated, 24-48 hours after injection.  It gets better with time.  When I first started and did not learn to change my eating style, I threw up more than once.  This slows gastric emptying.  Upset stomach, nauseau, gas, belching and acid reflux were all side effects I dealt with as I progressed from the starter dose to the full dose.   I had to stop Ozempic when it became unavailable due to shortages cause by the weight loss clinics using it for weight loss, not diabetes control

I just started again.  Took my third weekly injection on Monday.  This week was much better than the past two weeks.  Appetite and urges are down.  I eat half portions at most meals and I seldom eat more than two meals per day when I am on Ozempic.

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am on Ozempic and like I stated in the other thread, it takes a few days, but I will feel a bit ill, full, bloated, 24-48 hours after injection.  It gets better with time.  When I first started and did not learn to change my eating style, I threw up more than once.  This slows gastric emptying.  Upset stomach, nauseau, gas, belching and acid reflux were all side effects I dealt with as I progressed from the starter dose to the full dose.   I had to stop Ozempic when it became unavailable due to shortages cause by the weight loss clinics using it for weight loss, not diabetes control

I just started again.  Took my third weekly injection on Monday.  This week was much better than the past two weeks.  Appetite and urges are down.  I eat half portions at most meals and I seldom eat more than two meals per day when I am on Ozempic.

Not sure of your dosage but the feeling that I was going to throw up never went away when I switched from 1 to 2 mg.  It sucked..

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not sure of your dosage but the feeling that I was going to throw up never went away when I switched from 1 to 2 mg.  It sucked..

I jumped in with both feet this time at 2 MG.  I did puke the first week.  Got better the next week.  This week is much better and urge control is so much better.  Ryan and I went to a local place called Snuffers last night.  They have a great grilled chicken sandwich.  I only ate half and probably stole a dozen fries from Ryan.  We actually "split" the fries but I only ate a few.   And the 122 today was after going out to dinner, so not bad.    If I can just stay away from the Jelly Bean display at the LGS.  Damn Easter Bunny.  Before that is was the damn Girl Scouts and their boxes of crack filled cookies.  

• Hugs 1

Here are the listed "common" (not bad) side effects which include lots of stomach/belly stuff:

Common side effects

The most common side effects of Mounjaro include nausea, diarrhea, decreased appetite, vomiting, constipation, indigestion, and stomach (abdominal) pain. These are not all the possible side effects of Mounjaro. Talk to your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or doesn’t go away.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I jumped in with both feet this time at 2 MG.  I did puke the first week.  Got better the next week.  This week is much better and urge control is so much better.  Ryan and I went to a local place called Snuffers last night.  They have a great grilled chicken sandwich.  I only ate half and probably stole a dozen fries from Ryan.  We actually "split" the fries but I only ate a few.   And the 122 today was after going out to dinner, so not bad.    If I can just stay away from the Jelly Bean display at the LGS.  Damn Easter Bunny.  Before that is was the damn Girl Scouts and their boxes of crack filled cookies.  

I have mentioned this before but the daily biomarkers I submit to Virta via the app keeps me honest.  I’ll see hot tamales at the LGS check out but think, I have 3 weeks of ketosis, don’t want to blow it now…

I’m trying to stay really focused for the month of March and then will see what a piece of fruit or a handful of jelly beans does to my numbers.  I have read that once you body fully transitions to ketosis (burning fat for fuel) it will adjust quickly back to ketosis if you have a lapse.  I just can’t imagine living with this strict of a diet for the rest of my life but… I do like the results. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The magic weight loss stuff.  Party like it's not going to cost you later world.

Or some much needed help for those that are genetically predisposed to this disease no matter how much exercise and dieting they do in their 20s and 30s.    Ozempic has worked better for me than any thing else I have tried.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Or some much needed help for those that are genetically predisposed to this disease no matter how much exercise and dieting they do in their 20s and 30s.    Ozempic has worked better for me than any thing else I have tried.  

These are diabetes drugs, not weight loss drugs.  They are being scarfed up by people who won't stop eating doughnuts at a rate that is endangering diabetics who are beginning to have trouble getting any.  Society is going ga ga over the magic fat pill concept.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

These are diabetes drugs, not weight loss drugs.  They are being scarfed up by people who won't stop eating doughnuts at a rate that is endangering diabetics who are beginning to have trouble getting any.  Society is going ga ga over the magic fat pill concept.

Glad I am not taking this one, even as a diabetic.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I have mentioned this before but the daily biomarkers I submit to Virta via the app keeps me honest.  I’ll see hot tamales at the LGS check out but think, I have 3 weeks of ketosis, don’t want to blow it now…

I’m trying to stay really focused for the month of March and then will see what a piece of fruit or a handful of jelly beans does to my numbers.  I have read that once you body fully transitions to ketosis (burning fat for fuel) it will adjust quickly back to ketosis if you have a lapse.  I just can’t imagine living with this strict of a diet for the rest of my life but… I do like the results. 

I am worthless and weak

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Glad I am not taking this one, even as a diabetic.

It can be rough.  I’m so glad I’m off of it.  I have three siblings on Ozempic and two of them really dislike the side effects.  My dumb ass brother said, yeah I was full but just pushed through the feeling & kept eating… 🤦🏽‍♂️

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It can be rough.  I’m so glad I’m off of it.  I have three siblings on Ozempic and two of them really dislike the side effects.  My dumb ass brother said, yeah I was full but just pushed through the feeling & kept eating… 🤦🏽‍♂️

I really do not like to be feeling queasy when I am having to take care of livestock and other critters. It is one thing to limp around, but feeling queasy is the pits. The lady that worked on my feet and helped procure GS cookies for me had a rough time after being off the medication for a while and then having to restart again.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Here are the listed "common" (not bad) side effects which include lots of stomach/belly stuff:

Common side effects

The most common side effects of Mounjaro include nausea, diarrhea, decreased appetite, vomiting, constipation, indigestion, and stomach (abdominal) pain. These are not all the possible side effects of Mounjaro. Talk to your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or doesn’t go away.

That was on the brochure CVS attaches to prescriptions. After giving myself the shot on Saturday, the stomach pain/gas started Monday, today's Thursday AM and it's still a little upset.  I'm eating more veggies and fiber.  Supper yesterday was a 1/4 lb homemade hamburger, broken up on the plate and doused with an 8 oz. can of Bush's baked beans. That and 1 dose of Pepto Bismol settled me down.  Breakfast today was a Jimmy Dean "healthy" Farmhouse breakfast bowl with onions, peppers, etc.. kicked-up-a-notch with thick salsa to kick-up the fiber.  Hot coffee was less painful in my esophagus today than yesterday.

• Hugs 1