Be careful what you say around a smartass.

The kid cashing me out at the grocery store last night, was talking to another kid who was bagging stuff.

"I feel like William Wallace at the end of Braveheart.." (I think he was near the end of his shift and meant the whole "FREEEEEDOOOOM!" thing).

I looked at him and said "Dead?" 

The other kid snickered and he looked crestfallen. "....no...."

• Heart 4

On 21/06/2017 at 2:02 PM, BuffJim said:

Speaking of dumbasses and smartasses, where has @Caretaker been lately?

In France cycle touring. My return is imminent.

Presently I'm a short distance from the ferry port at a campsite and will be boarding tomorrow after a very warm and sunny fortnight's cycling round Brittany.

Photos and report to follow late Saturday.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Caretaker said:

In France cycle touring. My return is imminent.

Presently I'm a short distance from the ferry port at a campsite and will be boarding tomorrow after a very warm and sunny fortnight's cycling round Brittany.

Photos and report to follow late Saturday.

Awesome - Are you near Le Havre?  I used to go there on business a lot about 10 years ago. They were still mad at the Brits for bombing their industrial plants in WW2, so that when the war was over, the Brits would have the better infrastructure.   

19 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Awesome - Are you near Le Havre?  I used to go there on business a lot about 10 years ago. They were still mad at the Brits for bombing their industrial plants in WW2, so that when the war was over, the Brits would have the better infrastructure.   

No near Roscoff in Brittany where ferries run to Roslare in Wexford.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:53 AM, Scrapr said:

Whole Foods aftet the Amazon buy out

I read an article where the WF CEO talked about high pay but I think it's an excuse preparing workers for life with Amazon.  I calculated what higher pay did to Walmart and it represents a small fraction of profits.  When they don't mention what top dog pay plus buying back stock to cover stock options (which IS an expense but doesn't show up that way on financial reports since it isn't "retired stock") nor mention it in comparison to employee raise effects, I'm skeptical. The avg. CEO makes 350x his/her avg. worker today compared to 29x in the '70's.  Last year when Hostess cupcakes bakers were told to take a 2nd massive pay-cut to avoid bankruptcy, the CEO's salary was more than tripled, along with big raises for the CFO, Treas., VP's, etc.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The avg. CEO makes 350x his/her avg. worker today compared to 29x in the '70's.  Last year when Hostess cupcakes bakers were told to take a 2nd massive pay-cut to avoid bankruptcy, the CEO's salary was more than tripled, along with big raises for the CFO, Treas., VP's, etc.

Society pays people based upon their talents, their job history, and the general perception about how valuable that is in comparison to the other people in the market who can do the same thing.

I have no issue with corporate officers making 'x' number of times the salary of a typical company worker or 'y' number the times the salary of the lowest paid worker.  Most people in corporate positions worked very hard over the course of their lives to earn the positions they hold and the salaries they make.  At that level, most of them give their lives over to the company at the expense of their personal lives.  But that's the road they chose, so most don't complain.  They don't work a 40 hour work week, and don't get paid overtime, have no union to defend them against the whims of a corporate board - and virtually none of them would want that.

I believe a person's compensation should be based upon their abilities - what they can show to an employer that makes money for an employer.  After all, that is the primary objective of a private company hiring a person.

It is curious, I think how vilified corporate business people have become.  I've yet to hear, though, of how a professional baseball player's salary or a professional football player's salary should be limited to no more than 'x' times the salary of the janitor who cleans up after the game or the 'Get yer hot dogs here!' hawker to roams through the stands.

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It is curious, I think how vilified corporate business people have become.  I've yet to hear, though, of how a professional baseball player's salary or a professional football player's salary should be limited to no more than 'x' times the salary of the janitor who cleans up after the game or the 'Get yer hot dogs here!' hawker to roams through the stands.

I know less professional baseball players who automatically treat the janitor or the hot-dog hawker like shit.

I know plenty of situations where a CEO didn't value their employees beyond the next 1-2 quarterly statements for the shareholders, and who were okay with belittling or screaming at them, and were apathetic that their own actions produced similar ones among middle management toward rank-and-file, sort of a corporate Stanford Prisoner experiment.  I worked in one such situation.

I have no problem with a CEO making a significant amount more than regular employees, as long as they have the perspective to realize that a company is built on its employees, then its customers (whom the employees work to assist, retain, sell to, provide for), and THEN its shareholders (who benefit long-term from such a strategy, rather than quick and very temporary profits that come from manipulating balance sheets, outsourcing (but simultaneously cutting quality), and hack-and-slash methods of profiting.  That's why I think the CEO of Costco is a truly brilliant leader, and why I think many other CEOs are big turds in moderate-sized bowls.

I take no issue with anything you said, and you've made some excellent points regarding management style.

I think, though, the issue of pay 'disparity' is a separate and independent issue from management style.  When the issue of pay disparity arises, never does the person say 'Oh, he's a nice CEO, so we won't apply the limiting salary ratios to him.'  It's implied that if someone makes a lot of money, multiple upon multiples of what an 'ordinary' person makes, that somehow that is wrong.  That the person making a high salary is somehow taking money away from other people instead of earning it based upon his skills and his high level of responsibility. 

I concur with your point about some CEO/officers/managers being absolutely rotten in how they treat others.  I believe those sort use the 'power' methods that helped them climb the ladder - what worked then 'works' for them now.  Unfortunately there's no way to measure - and that's the key word, measure - what greater success they might have attained if they'd used a more positive management style.  If we were privy to any number of CEO employment contracts, I doubt any one of them would require being nice or civil as one of the requirements of the job or conditions for continued employment.  And any CEO who did would be a fool, as again, there's no numerical way to measure nice or civil - two concepts that lie entirely within one's mind varying to the whim of individual bias and feelings.

It's a style that attains instant or near-instant results at the sacrifice of getting the best effort out of each employee.  It turns workers into drones instead of thinkers, rule-readers instead of rule-benders.  As you correctly noted, it's not an enlightened way to manage.